Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhilusEstilius... My Father
Hello to your community...

My name is Stephen Stobbs and I am the son of PhilusEstilius here on your boards, my father is Brian Stobbs.

There is no easy way to explain what has happened so I shall have to just say this...

Brian Stobbs passed away this week on Tuesday morning at 6:30am.

My father has been fighting with cancer for the last 6-7 years but unfortuantly finally lost the battle.

I am aware my father had a lot of friends in the online world as well as in real life.
I just wanted to let his friends know.

The family are all ok but sad of course at our loss.

Kind Regards to all of your community...
Stephen Stobbs.
Brian Stobbs
Our thoughts are with you at this time.

Sad news indeed, Brian was a valued and active member of the RAT Community. It was always a pleasure to see his reconstructions of Roman military equipment and hear his insight into making them.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
RIP Brian you will be definitely missed here and in RL
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Thank you Stephen for letting us know of your Fathers passing, and please accept my most sincere condolences.

Brian was in many ways like a Father to me and he became one of my best mates. He was a mentor to me and my mate Jimmy, and taught and shared his skills in Roman armoury to us...to which we are forever grateful. Further to that he was simply a good bloke. We corresponded via email several times a week and spent many hours on the phone discussing an array of topics. I had the pleasure of spending a week with him last September in the UK and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about that week....we had such a tremendous time.
He was an extremely generous man, and was only too willing to help anyone who asked for advice. I loved his sense of humour, and he continually amazed me of his knowledge, not only of Roman history, but overall general knowledge.

I will miss you immensely my good friend.....RIP.

[attachment=12461]IMG_1765.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
I'm so sorry for your loss.
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
It's a great loss, my condolences to all the family
His knowledge and wisdom will be missed Sad thanks for letting us know. Sorry for your personal loss. RIP
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
He will be missed.
Alexander
Very sorry to hear that Stephen.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Hello to your community...

Our thoughts are with you Stephen.
Brian was a very active member of our small family, never tiring of giving us good advice or telling us off when we got it wrong. He will be sorely missed, although of course not in the way you must be missing him. I hope we can keep his memory alive here.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Your father was a valuable member of this board, always helpful, always sharing his thoughts and informations. He will be missed here. Thank you for letting us know, and I wish you and you family all the best in these days.

nec sic interemit mors res ut materiai
corpora conficiat, sed coetum dissupat ollis;
inde aliis aliud coniungit et efficit, omnis
res ut convertant formas mutentque colores
et capiant sensus et puncto tempore reddant;
ut noscas referre earum primordia rerum
cum quibus et quali positura contineantur
et quos inter se dent motus accipiantque,
neve putes aeterna penes residere potesse
corpora prima quod in summis fluitare videmus
rebus et interdum nasci subitoque perire.
Lucr. II 1002-1012.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
A great loss. It was always a pleasure to read his thorough posts. Really sorry.
Eduardo Vázquez
Sorry to hear that Stephen, me too had the very fine experience to have had Brian as a mentor in my quest to make stuff. He gave me a personal tour along Hadrians wallmand i still remember the nice change to be at your parents home and discussing items and craftmanship. I will also miss the email contact to discuss new projects, a very helpfull man brian was. He may rest in peace. All the best to your and your family.
ALA I BATAVORUM
My condolences to the Stobbs Family. Brian was a very good friend and I too spent an incredible amount of time speaking with him about an array of topics....my fondest memories being things not Roman but when we discussed our personal lives especially after my father passed 6 months ago.
However, he too helped me very much when making Roman items and he is the one who told me that one day I would make my own things. I never thought I would but he was right......I have begun making my own kit.

I do have one VERY special physical object that Brian made for me and that is the Gallic D helmet. He was the first to make a copy based on the original text. To this day, I have yet to see anything that rivals his version. I will always cherish this helmet.

God speed to you.....my friend.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
His contributions will be missed for sure.
Condolences and the best of my wishes to the Family.

Siggi
Siggi K.