Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
praefectus alae milliariae
I know that Hadrian introduced a fourth militia -- praefectus alae milliariae. What I do not know, however, is whether an Equestrian was required to serve in that position before becoming eligible for promotions to the urban tribunates and, thereafter, the more prestigious prefectures.

And, If service in just a handful of alae milliariae was a prerequisite for promotion to the urban tribunates, why would Equestrians ever pursue the quarta militia as a career path? Unless I'm missing something, it would be much easier for an ambitious and politically well-connected Equestrian to advance to the position of primus pilus in 30 or so legions (or receive a direct commission) and thereafter, serve in the urban tribunates than becoming a praefectus in the 9 or so alae milliariae. Thank you in advance for answering my question.
Kurt Zimmerman
you can find in this paper two very interesting careers:
https://www.academia.edu/1872904/Equestr...s_Aurelius

both are Praefectus Praetorium

Marcus Bassaeus is achieving the position through primuspilus.
Lucius Iulius Vehilius Gratus Iulianus has has a "normal" equestrian career though including "militia qvarta".

this book would be also interesting:
•Devijver, Hubert, The Equestrian Officers of the Roman Army 2 vols. (Amsterdam 1989, 1992).
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
The urban tribunates were primarily part of the career of the primipilares and not of the equestrian career. Primipilus -> urban tribunates -> numerus primipilorum -> and from their for the few most talented guys to the higher procurators and prefects in competition to the equestrians.

The equestrian career usually leads to the procurators and the higher praefectures after (or parallel to) the militia and does not include the urban tribunates.

You are mixing up 2 distinct careers which are partially separated. The majority of procurators and higher prefects are equestrians. Vice versa the majority of the urban tribunes are ex-centurions. Since Claudius of course. Before Claudius it was fully mixed and rather unregulated.

You might be interested in Dobsons thesis about the carreer of the primipilares:
http://etheses.dur.ac.uk/8434/

Dobson shows, that the career of an centurio ex equite romano from centurio to primipulus is not neccesarily faster than the career of a centurio ex caliga. Both are about 30-35 years old and need still some promotions to become primipilus and from there reach the centenarian rank (procurator II, tribunus praetorio). Same with the equestrian officer, who usually starts his equestrian career (militia) with roughly the same age and also goals for the centenarian rank and more. But he also needs some promotions to get there.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas
Quote:why would Equestrians ever pursue the quarta militia as a career path?

We don't know enough, I think, about the equestrian military career to determine why a man would chose one path rather than the other. Centurio ex eques and cohort prefect seem to have been paid about the same, and while we might assume the tres militiae to have been more prestigious, we should remember that Pertinax was originally trying for a centurionate, and only took a cohort prefecture as a second choice!

As for the quarta militia, presumably as it was rare it was highly prized, and a sign of great favour, high connections and/or military prowess. Either way it would be a surer boost up the ladder than just holding an ordinary sexagenarian procuratorship (which seems to have been the usual next step from praefectus ala)

This diagram is quite speculative and presents perhaps too neat a picture, but it's useful nonetheless:

[attachment=12464]Equestriancareerscheme.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nathan Ross
I often read the following explanation. Even if we will never know:

A centurio was a lifetime job. All day long until you get retired, with a nice pension. Well there might have been a risk: we don't know of any fixed age of retirement for centurions or length of service like we know it for the miles or the principalis.

The militia was not a lifetime job. A lot of careers ended rather soon after praefectus or tribune. Without a pension. There could be times of unemployment between deployments and promotions, so equestrians often switched between military and civilian life back and forth. That was rather the way of a senator following the senatorial career. A mode some equestrians surely appreciated very much. Perhaps some municipial nobles goaled for just 1 post anyways, in order to get the military title and prestige, but with the clear goal, to go back to civilian business as soon as possible.

Others thought the other way around:
- they prefered the guaranteed income, employment and pension, because their equestrian family was not that rich.
- they perhaps prefered to escape from their pater familias once and forever and not come back after 3 years
- they prefered a real job and wanted to be an officer and nothing else in between.

Well, also in the militia we find some real vires militares with a very impressing and rather not interupted career. But they most propably went not the one way or the other, because it was significantly faster.

Of course, these are just the most popular speculations of historians, I know of.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alae stationed in Novaesium (Neuss) claste 0 419 05-04-2019, 12:11 AM
Last Post: claste
  British Half-Legion+Alae Camps Mark Hygate 1 1,237 03-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Mark Hygate