Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tunica Manicata in the early third century?
Hello,

I have found this portrait of child, which is dated in the frist half of the third century.
So I want to reconstruct a roman tunica manicata for the early third century.
Do someone know more examples from a tunika manicata from this period?
And can I use such one for roman military?

I am very gradeful for every help

Best regads

Stefan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Are you sure the dating of this is early 3rd century? I doubt it can be later than mid-4th century due to the pagan symbolism.

If I had to guess I'd say it's early 4th century.
It is an funary textile from Antinoopolis. After Parlasca it is dated from 230-260.
I was also very suprised. :-)
Thanks for posting- interesting!

"Are you sure the dating of this is early 3rd century? I doubt it can be later than mid-4th century due to the pagan symbolism."

im not sure you could use this to date it- plenty of pagan aristocrats in Rome and elsewhere right to the end of the fourth century ( eg Symmachus) and pagan imagery in lots of places - eg the Thetford buckle.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Very nice stuff!
There is not a lot of evidence for when these decorated tunics first appeared, One of the earliest examples is a tunic from Palmyra which must predate the sack of the city by the Romans. I think Parlasca notes the similarities of the tunic in the picture with the tunic from Palmyra and suggested therefore that they were similar in date.

The earliest decorations seem to be largely geometric designs.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Thank you!!!!
That is a very good.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early lanciarii of the 3rd century in Roman Army G.S. 0 171 03-05-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: G.S.
  Civilian Dress of the early 1st century, help sought Clavdivs 0 961 12-30-2017, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Clavdivs
  Early first century hamata questions Romulus 3 1,223 02-24-2017, 11:03 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake