Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Griffin motifs in the 1st C AD
Hello Everyone,

It has been some time since I posted on RAT. I hope someone can help me with my questions. Attached are some depictions of peltas. As you can see, they all have griffin heads and necks. Then on one pelta, at the center, there is some figure and to the right there is a torch. Then on the other, there are dolphins in the center.

Who is the central figure with the torch? Is the griffin a common motif in the 1st C AD? What do the dolphins actually represent?

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I'm not sure about the figure with the torch, my guess would be a mythological figure, Prometheus maybe...

The dolphins may not really represent anything. It could just be a motif the person who made or had this made liked. Without knowing the context of the find there really is no way to know what is going on. Were these found in a temple, a villa, a fort, or brothel? Each of these location and many other would provide different context for what the purpose of the motif was. If there was a purpose beyond decoration.
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
Hello Brutus,

Thanks for the response. I am not sure about the context. I found the photos in a Google search for Roman peltas.......a long while ago. I have not searched since.

My main concern was with the use of griffins in the 1st C AD. I did a search last night and statues ranging from the Prima Porta to Trajan have griffins on them so I would conclude that the creature was still being used throughout the 1st C AD. I guess since it was around during the Greek period and the later Roman period, it would not have vanished in between.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I don't see a torch. What I see is an actor's mask in profile. It's the wide-open mouth that identifies it as a theatrical mask. The dolphin was sometimes a symbol for the god Dionysus. Dionysus was of Thracian origin and the griffin was often representative of Thrace. The Thracian gladiators wore a griffin terminal on their helmet crests. As for a link, the great theater in Athens was the Theater of Dionysus. So I am guessing that these ornaments have some Dionysian connection.
Pecunia non olet
Thank you John for the answer.....very informative.

Question......Supposedly, according to the museum curator in Verona, the centurion....whose name escapes me at the moment, has one of his phalerae in the shape of a pelta just as the photos I posted. Is it conceivable that phalerae of such shape could have griffins as shown in the photos I posted?

I read that griffins were a symbol of power in the ancient world so I would think being on a soldiers harness is quite plausible.

I am not sure that griffins only represented Thracians (I apologize if I am misreading your post) since their depictions were around in the Greek period and if I recall correctly, even earlier. However, I do agree that they do appear on Thracian gladiator helmets but interestingly enough, it also appears on the Crosby Garret cavalry helmet. As I mentioned, the statues above also have griffins.

The thing is this, I am learning to do repousee work and wanted to make a few simpler phalerae for myself. Since the centurion description was given as such and I found these photos a while back, I thought about making one of those peltas with the griffins. But, I do not want to spend the time and money making such an item if it were ridiculous that a 1st c AD centurion would not have griffins......

Paolo
Doc,
I have quite a large photographic collection of statues of Emperors, and many times you see Griffin motifs as part of the decorations on their cuirass. So I think it would be safe to say you are right in your thinking. Great to hear you are having a go at repousse'....well done. :-)
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Thanks Marcellus,

I finally got around to it. I have several tools, hammers, pitch LOL

It not easy but slowly, I'm getting the hang of it.

Also, thanks for the confirm on the emperor curiass

Doc

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scabbard plate motifs Aetius Helvius Merula 15 3,606 11-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake