Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gallic Cavalry
About what time was the first instances that the Gallic tribes of Gallia Transalpina/Narbonensis, like the Aedui and Arveni, began to be favored as cavalry? By the time of the Social War they seem to have been the dominate cavalry type, replacing the Roman and Italian cavalry. Sallust's Jugurthine War makes no mention of Gallic cavalry, only Ligurian and Thracian. I haven't read anything about any other wars of the 2nd Century BC that seem to indicate the use of Gauls. So that might narrow the time down from 105 BC to 91 BC.
I have no info unfortunately, but would love to hear about Gallic mercenary cavalry in the service of Rome.
I've be rereading some of my books about ancient cavalry, including Jeramiah McCall's The Cavalry of the Roman Republic and Phil Sidnell's Warhorse. It looks like the first instances of consistent use of Gallic cavalry came about in the late 2nd century BC, early 1st century BC. While the various tribes of Cisalpine Gaul were conquered in the late 3rd century BC and early to mid 2nd century BC, it seems that they were not used as auxiliary cavalry for any known wars. The Gallic tribes of Transalpina Gaul/Gallia Narbonesis were either eliminated or made Friend and Ally of Rome (read: subjugated) in the 120s BC time period.

During the Cimbri Wars, Frontinus states that Marius used Gallic auxiliary in his army but dismissed them before the great battles of Aquae Sextiae and Vercellae due to issues of loyalty.

There are no mentions of Gauls being used again until the Social War, when they seemed to have been recruited and used heavily by the Romans, probably to make up for the various Italian city states that rebelled. From that point forward, Gallic cavalry seems to have been the dominant cavalry type (among the Numidian light cavalry and various eastern types) that were consistently employed by various Roman commanders.

My guess is that the Cimbri War, where after defeating the Cimbri and breaking the will of the last rebellious tribes of Transalpine Gaul, those left were firmly loyal to Rome and being warlike, were eager to serve with them.
Quote:I have no info unfortunately, but would love to hear about Gallic mercenary cavalry in the service of Rome.

Gallic mercenary cavalry?

Were they mercenary? I think they are absorbed fighting units, are they not?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
You are right if we are talking about Galia Narbonensis only, but Brian also mentioned Aedui and Arverni who are still free in the period mentioned. Maybe we should specify that first...
Quote:
Luka Borščak post=367829 Wrote:I have no info unfortunately, but would love to hear about Gallic mercenary cavalry in the service of Rome.

Gallic mercenary cavalry?

Were they mercenary? I think they are absorbed fighting units, are they not?

Technically at the time, I think the Gallic tribal contingents would have been called forward by the normal foederati system, where they would be tasked with providing x amount of troops for y war. Though, probably more than most other nation types, the Gauls would have been eager to serve with the Legions as it meant continuing their warrior lifestyle and earning wealth and prestige (and possibly Roman citizenship). The Roman cavalry of the 2nd century BC was a mix between Roman, Italian, Spanish, Greek, Thracian, and Numidian cavalry. By the middle of the 1st century, it was nearly entirely Gallic, with smaller detachments of Numidians and maybe some local cavalry types of whatever theater they were operating in.
Quote:You are right if we are talking about Galia Narbonensis only, but Brian also mentioned Aedui and Arverni who are still free in the period mentioned. Maybe we should specify that first...

Free is the wrong word. With the Roman Republic, the ultimate endstate for an outside kingdoms or tribe was to get them to sign a treaty as Friend and Ally of Rome. As such, they often would be forced to surrender their ability to conduct independent wars, they had to provide tribute in the form of taxes and troop levies, but they would be protected by Rome. During the time in question, the Late Republic period, the Aedui, Arverni, and other tribes most likely the Allobroges, Ruteni, Vocontii, Sordones, etc. These would have provided skirmishers, heavy infantry, and cavalry when needed, but as the Romans could replicate the first two on their own or with other states, they usually just wanted the cavalry, which were the Gallic nobility.
If they are required to provide troops as part of the agreement with Rome they are not foederati either then? I always assumed this was a much later type of alliance on different conditions of service.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
From my understanding it wasn't till the Empire period that the term foederati became synonymous with mercenaries. During the Republican period it just means they were bound by treaties to kick up troops whenever asked. Considering the amount of Gallic cavalry and their love of war, it probably was easier getting cavalry from them then any other nation, and since they excelled at it the Romans stopped bothering to ask other states to contribute cavalry, instead taking troop levies in other types or in direct taxes.