Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early 5th Century Naval Battle
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that in the Early 5th century a small usurper was defeated by a Roman fleet of 73 ships off the coast of Italy, but don't remember more than that. Does anyone know if there is any source for this, if this is correct?

It was in Stilicho's time, past the 400 AD mark, IIRC.
Your not confusing the naval battle against the fleet commanded by Gainas around the same date?
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
It might have been the battle with Gainas. I need to try and go find where I read about it though.

Do you have anything on the battle with Gainas, per chance?
Hi Evan

This is a starting point, and I'd advise going to a library to get these two books if you dont already own them-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainas

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barbarians-Bisho...nd+bishops

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barbarians-Polit...d+politics
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
I can grab them via the College Library. I love depriving professors and grad students of their research material Tongue
Zosimus describes the one sided sea battle in his New History.
Quote: Thus was Fraiutus occupied in Asia, inspecting not only his camp both day and night, but also the motions of the enemy. He likewise made provision for naval affairs, possessing a fleet, competent for action, of the ships called Liburnae, from Liburnia, a town in Italy, where ships of that kind were first built. These appear to have been as swift-sailing vessels as those of fifty oars, although much inferior to the triremes. Polybius, the historian, gives us a description of the proportion of the six-oared ships, which the Romans and Carthaginians used in their engagements with each other. Gaines, having forced his way through the long wall into the Chersonesus, had ranged his troops along the whole length of the elevated shore in Thrace, which extends from opposite Parium as far as Lampsacus, Abydos, and the narrowest part of the strait, The Roman general, on the other hand, sailed continually about the coast of Asia, to observe the designs of the enemy. Gaines, from the want of provisions, being uneasy at the protraction of the time, cut down a quantity of timber in a wood in the Chersonesus, which he fastened together with great accuracy, and rendering it capable to contain both men and horses, placed his troops upon it, and suffered them to float with the stream. These rafts were incapable of being managed with oars, or of admitting of the pilot's art, being hastily constructed by the rude contrivance of Barbarians. He himself remained on shore, in the hopes of presently acquiring a victory, supposing that the Romans would not be sufficiently strong to contend against his men in an engagement. The prudent Roman general was not incautious, and, therefore, forming a conjecture of what was in agitation, he commanded his ships to put off a little from land: Perceiving the rude vessels of the Barbarians to be carried with the current in whatever direction it drove them, he first attacked the foremost of them in front, and his ship, having a stem of brass, overpowered it, not only distressing it with his ship, but throwing darts at the men who were in it, and thus sunk both them and their vessel. When the crews of his other ships saw this, they imitated the example, killed some of them with their darts, while others, falling off the rafts, were drowned, and scarcely any of them escaped with life.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many detailed orders of battle do we have from the Early Imperial period? Keeper of the Sacred Chickens 0 263 01-29-2023, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Keeper of the Sacred Chickens
Information A Sixth or Early Seventh Century Ad Iconography of Roman Military Equipment in Egypt Condottiero Magno 0 1,025 03-27-2019, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno
  Praetorian shield sizes\shape in the early third century Garys152 5 3,181 10-24-2016, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross