Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurion reporting to the Governor of a province
I was recently reading The Good Thief by Barry Connolly and it gives the impression that there was a centurion that reported directly to the governor. If the governor of a province had a chief centurion who was it?
James Ajiduah
The Governer had a team of Centurians NCOs ect from all wings of the Millitary that would report to him this is also by accounts that there badge was a sword and carried Ring Pommel swords? my reference is at work :-( a good book to read is Exploratio N.J.E.Austin N.B.Rankov which gives a insight into this, you need to know a bit history as it jumps a a few hundred years to explain the aspects of the world of the various secret services.
Regards Brennivs :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Dating back to the Republic, the Primipilus centurions and later all of the primus ordines were part of the general's staff, they attending his war councils and offered advice. Among other duties, a governor is also the commander of all Roman military forces in the province, so these centurions would still report to him. In addition, especially by the Principate era, besides the tribuni angusticlavii military tribunes, the centurions would have been the only true professional officers other, with the legionary and cohort legates and praefects being political appointees.

Centurions would have been subject matter experts when it came to conducting warfare, and since patronage and background meant as much as ability in terms of gaining higher positions, most of the senior centurions would have been educated and of good enough backgrounds not to embarrass the commander by their presence.

So it makes sense that the governor would want advice from a centurion. Or that a centurion would report to a governor, to attend his councils.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Governor of Syria 4 - 1 BCE? Gladius Hispaniensis 5 2,126 01-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Last Post: Gladius Hispaniensis
  When was Varus appointed Governor of Gaul? rustydoornob 3 1,658 05-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell