Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primus Pilus = Biggest Wig?
Speculation of the day: "pilus" in Primus Pilus. Usually translated as "first rank", though the pilus is commonly confused with "pilum" which is 'javelin'. The common Latin meaning is "hair", literally meaning "first hair", which sounds odd. But if you remember how traditional a lot of Roman army was, perhaps it refers to the distinctive crest hairs on such an officer's helmet from early Republican days, much the way we refer to dignitaries as "big wigs". Perhaps that isn't that far off. This particular soldier's crest might have deliberately been distinctly different from every other crest.

Dare we say "biggus wiggus"?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
well my personal interpretation would be: "first grey hair" so is maturity time could be the big wig too though
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Or as pointed out on FB RAT, it could be so distinctive such that the entire legion lines up on this one person.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Weren't centurion grades based on the units they led? So the Primus Pilus would the centurion that led the First File/Rank maniple in the fighting line, which would be the position of honor in the older period.

I've always wondered what their role was in a triplex acies when the Triari/Pilani formed in the rear and were rarely used. Did the Primipilus not participate? And was the legion's primary standard, which was guarded and held by the Primipilus, not in the front of the battleline?
The one problem with this is that Varro reports that the entire third rank had been called pilani before they were called triarii. Varro himself thinks the name comes from "pilum." I personally favor the etymology of "pila" for column or pillar, assuming it refers to a more archaic form of military organization with a solid mass of hoplites stationed behind more fluid units of light infantry. Keppie does seem to think that it derived from pilus, only the hair in question is a "file" of soldiers (again, the pilani must have referred to an archaic moment when they were the only organized rank.

That said, by the time we get our first big dose of Latin, in Plautus, the name triarii is the prominent one, and "pilus survives as a linguistic fossil of centurion titles.
Quote:Or as pointed out on FB RAT, it could be so distinctive such that the entire legion lines up on this one person.

As I had mentioned on the FB board, that it may have been where the "line" would be established for a formation of a unit, and everyone else fills in the spaces according to their "dignity" and/or experience level, as was revived and done in 17th century context.

Sort of that "Lead from the Front" mentality. It seems through much of the time, Romans placed the Centurion in the front-right corner of a formation, which is then copied and done in 16-17th century formations.

Although I'm not sure what survives to support the notion that Romans used as detailed a system as is seen in 17th century with Dignity, Romans seem to have generally followed "Commanders" and "Everyone Else", rather black/white, whereas in Greek and 17th century there seems to be a little more Gray Area.

Of course, what worked in the Punic wars may not have still been in use or supplanted by something else in the Principate, etc.
Although it seems the "traditions" of terminology sticks around for centuries - Even the term "Legio" which originally meant "Levied" as we all know, yet, the term stayed in place to refer to the armies well into the 6th century, several centuries past the time when soldiers changed from 'required service' to 'volunteer paid by the State'. As well as the term "Century", as I'd mentioned briefly on the FB board, going from "voting districts" - It's all Relative, in a sense. Everyone's lined up and arranged as they would appear in their social classes and voting status - Probably intended to help identify who's fulfilled their obligation or not for military service when the Legio was raised for a campaign, etc. And apparently that system worked so well, the terminology and basic formation remained unchanged for hundreds of years.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:The one problem with this is that Varro reports that the entire third rank had been called pilani before they were called triarii. Varro himself thinks the name comes from "pilum." I personally favor the etymology of "pila" for column or pillar, assuming it refers to a more archaic form of military organization with a solid mass of hoplites stationed behind more fluid units of light infantry. Keppie does seem to think that it derived from pilus, only the hair in question is a "file" of soldiers (again, the pilani must have referred to an archaic moment when they were the only organized rank.

That said, by the time we get our first big dose of Latin, in Plautus, the name triarii is the prominent one, and "pilus survives as a linguistic fossil of centurion titles.

Can you elaborate what Varro wrote?

Also, what do you think the role of the primipilus centurion was in a triplex acies battle line? Did he stay with his century in the third line, with the legion's eagle standard, or do you think he might have joined the front lines? I can't think of many armies in history that placed their most elite unit and the whole unit's standard held in the reserves, far in the rear. I just can't see the most prestigious positions in the legion, the primipilus and aquilifer, both positions gained largely for bravery, sitting out a battle unless it "comes to the triari."
The relevant passage is (Varro DLL 5.89-90)

pilani triarii quoque dicti, quod in acie tertio ordine extremi subsidio deponebantur; quod hi subsidebant ab eo subsidium dictum, a quo Plautus: agite nunc, subsidite omnes quasi solent triarii.

The piliani are called triarii because they were positioned in the third line as a final reserve. The word "subsidium' was derived because they used to sit down. Therefore Plautus: "Come now, have a seat just as the triarii are accustomed to do"

We should be cautious of Varro's etymologies, but the fragment of Plautus is useful.
Interesting, is the Latin for sitting similar to kneeling?

What abouty second point, about the role of the primipilus in a pitched battle? Any speculations? Sitting with the Triari or up forward, roving, with the legion's standard?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Primus pilus bis Dagalaifus 4 3,017 12-19-2016, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Dagalaifus
  The End of the Primus Pilus Nathan Ross 11 3,936 12-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Aussum
  Primus Pilus - First File Leader not First Javelin JeffF 5 2,686 08-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell