Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I made a furca
[Image: 5e903961dd586de836ee4c8c88c6e184.png]

My first furca. I've yet to drive a nail into the center, but so far I've nothing to attach to it but the net with some wool gloves and an oil lamp, because I'm dirt poor(lol).

Thoughts? Leather straps hold it together through a series of ties, knots, and loops.
take a look at this threat :
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/20-roman-re...pilae.html
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Recent heavy rains destroyed some of the forked Y sticks that might've been useable, so out of spite I made this, because mother nature sucks sometimes.

Once it dries up I'm going to be looking through the woods again, but for now I'll see if I can't carve a groove into the intersection and support it more.
Noah, What's with the cushioning on the different parts of the backing of the scutum?
Different bracing points and hand protection. Somewhat for the shield too, but it's all wool.
Quote:Noah, What's with the cushioning on the different parts of the backing of the scutum?

My guess is those are parts that Noah comes into contact with... the padding isn't a bad idea, especially for what we refer to as a 'shield rotational injury", see someone knocking the top of your scutum into the bridge of your nose....
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
The corner parts on the top are mainly to cushion a shield popping around and hitting you in the side of the face or eye socket. The middle, for as Brandon said, is for the nose. The bottom pieces are for the shins, as us unlucky miles can only wish that we had greaves( Tongue )
Noah, are you sparring often? Are the injuries you mention something common in your reenacting group? Also, have you ever tried wrapping your legs as protection?

fasciae
We don't do sparring in our group, except Gladiatorial fights and at Lafe. Most of the guys get banged up enough just marching with the shields.

I still have to finish my shield... damn winter. Always so cold and wet.
Quote:We don't do sparring in our group, except Gladiatorial fights and at Lafe. Most of the guys get banged up enough just marching with the shields.

I still have to finish my shield... damn winter. Always so cold and wet.

Is that because of unfamiliarity or the design and bulkiness of the shield. In other words, do you think someone carrying them day in, day out, would have similar issues and need padding?
I love how you're asking about your furca, but all we're talking about is your scutum. :grin:

What wood did you make it out of? What's the dowel diameter? Just curious about your construction...did you stain it, or is that the natural color?
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.
Ashwood for the long piece, the intersecting piece is unknown to me. It's about two inches in diameter roughly. Haven't stained it but lots of smoothing.
i used a wooden peg for mine, rather than an iron nail or spike. I know that evidence for furca's construction is negligible at best, so I hope it's not a huge stretch. My idea is that in wet weather, it will hopefully expand and contract with the rest of the wood, and be less likely to become loose.
Sven Tuonela
Axios!