Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Roman Belts better
Hi Romans,

I am back with a puzzle.

After producing thousands of belts, for the first time we have been told that the belts need to be constructed using split leather sandwiched together, with stitching at both sides. This means, the leather becomes strong, softer, and certainly better looking.

Deepeeka has always made belts like most others with vegetable tanned whole grain leather (2.5-3mm) thick. But never stitched or sandwiched any layers. Only recently, in Tejike belts, we have started gluing a suede lining to the back, to make it look cleaner and also, not to see the fittings.

What do you suggest ?

Should we continue what we have done in the past, or should we stitch two pieces of split leather together, then do our fitting- lastly stick the third layer to the back.

[attachment=12239]IMG_3066.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Single layer constructions would be fine for me. For a double layered belt i would also like it to be fold a stitched nicely instead of only two cut pieces glued together.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi,
I would suggest a strip of leather with your belt plates on it and offer an optional belt with stitching . No need to go to the reference of two pieces of leather stitched together.. In the long run, it only has to look right, not be Roman right. for many of us.. Remember that many younger/older but new members to this hobby have little funds. They tend to be your first port of call for gear so....please let them have something semi decent....a stitched belt with plates.

Kevin
Kevin
Quote:...we have been told that the belts need to be constructed using split leather sandwiched together, with stitching at both sides.

What is the evidence for this?
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Quote:
deepeeka post=367212 Wrote:...we have been told that the belts need to be constructed using split leather sandwiched together, with stitching at both sides.

What is the evidence for this?

Would like to know what the evidence is as well?...... Barhill has a fragment described as a belt 3cm wide with a seam running center back with no edge stitching, but I've seen the same on Roman knife scabbards see Vindolanda...
The report references some finds from Vindonissa, but I've seen similar stitched pieces to those found at Vindonissa as reinforcing from tents from Valkenburg... a lot of strips with stitched edges can also be shoe reinforcing from the lasting margin on uppers ...

It may be an idea to check out surviving rivet lengths from Military belt plates in order to determine the thickness of the leather used if not the actual construction, assuming leather was used in the first place....

Split leather is a effectively a modern invention as far as I'm aware, this is different to leather that has been thinned out, as this was manually done by hand leaving no useful waste leather, the mechanical reduction is what produces splits...
Given the length of time it takes to tan leather in the old way it would make more sense to tan thinner leather such as bovine calf skin for this purpose as it takes much less time, and reserve the thicker skins for shoe sole leather...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
I think that a straight forward 2 to 3 mm cowhide belt would last so much longer than this idea of stitching bits of leather together for after a short while with chain mail or any other armour rubbing on the stitching and it is not going to last very long in my opinion.
Brian Stobbs
I agree with Brian, a single piece of leather in my opinion is much more durable. I have both layered (very well made) and single leather belts, and the glue at the edge of the layered one comes apart regularly. I suppose you could just stitch the edges of a single piece belt for looks.....personal choice and preference really.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Thanks guys,

we will keep it our way.

Gagan