Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total War: Attila
This game is amazing though it is a part of the final days of the western roman empire it seems they did a good job with it. Currently doing the prologue.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

Clearly you have not seen my posts tearing the historical accuracy of the game apart... Tongue
Quote:Clearly you have not seen my posts tearing the historical accuracy of the game apart... Tongue

Crap. I looked through the forums and didn't see a thread on it. I understand about the historical aspect like fritigern and Alaric.

Also a question on the Visigoths and Ostrogoths weren't the Visigoths the western side of the goths and ostrogoths east? Do they have them in different spots on the game?

Also I was talking about the launch gameplay. The gameplay is really nice. Your thoughts on the gameplay?

The gameplay has some improvements over Rome II, certainly, but honestly I haven't played it. Wating for it to be 75% off on steam.

The Ostrogoths would not form for another 70 years after the start date and the Visigoths wouldn't form until 408 AD. For some reason they also called the Tetraxite Goths "Grethungi" when the Grethungi were part of the Goths of Fritigern and later Alaric
Quote:The gameplay has some improvements over Rome II, certainly, but honestly I haven't played it. Wating for it to be 75% off on steam.

The Ostrogoths would not form for another 70 years after the start date and the Visigoths wouldn't form until 408 AD. For some reason they also called the Tetraxite Goths "Grethungi" when the Grethungi were part of the Goths of Fritigern and later Alaric

The grethungi was a tribe that I thought joined fritigern weren't they? Or maybe it was Alaric.

I'm curious to see if Genseric is in the game. One of the funniest moments in history besides valentinian dropping over dead from being so upset, was maximinus talking mad crap to Genseric, taking placedia who was promised to Genseric's son who was promised to him.(I think I may have names mixed up) then was baffled to hear that Genseric was marching on Rome. Should've kept valentinian III alive. :-P

I understand that no movie or game is going to be up to snuff in terms of historical accuracy. That being said,I own both Attila and Rome 2, and I have found much enjoyment in both. Attila is, in my opinion, what Rome 2 should have been at launch.

Also: playing as the Western Roman Empire is a surefire way to ruin a good day. You will invent completely new obscenities as the game throws you under the bus time and again.
Take what you want, and pay for it

-Spanish proverb
Quote:I understand that no movie or game is going to be up to snuff in terms of historical accuracy. That being said,I own both Attila and Rome 2, and I have found much enjoyment in both. Attila is, in my opinion, what Rome 2 should have been at launch.

Also: playing as the Western Roman Empire is a surefire way to ruin a good day. You will invent completely new obscenities a the game throws you under the bus time and again.

I thought the same exact thing!

Is Stilicho a part of the western empire or is it Aetis?

IIRC the game starts in 395, so Aetius was 4. Attila wouldn't be born until at least 413, but no later than 417.
Quote:IIRC the game starts in 395, so Aetius was 4. Attila wouldn't be born until at least 413, but no later than 417.

Well Stilicho fought against both fritigern and Alaric, up until honorius had Stilicho executed. Its why I figured he would be in there at least for the beginning of the western empire followed by aetius.

While we're on that note I would say the longest living and most incompetent, completely oblivious emperor, honorius would easily win that title hands down.

You know I may be wrong on Stilicho and fritigern. I'm out at the moment so I can't check. I'm sure someone will correct me here shortly if I am.

Note: okay it just hit me. Fritigern lead the charge at the battle of Adrianople against Valens. Sigh my memory is going in and out and my late western empire knowledge is sketchy at its best.

Stilicho didn't fight Fritigern as far as I know.

Honorius wasn't incompetent, he was perfectly competent for the system of government that the empire utilized at that time - the so called "Manager" system. Meaghan McEvoy explains it very well.
Quote:Stilicho didn't fight Fritigern as far as I know.

Honorius wasn't incompetent, he was perfectly competent for the system of government that the empire utilized at that time - the so called "Manager" system. Meaghan McEvoy explains it very well.

Yes, Stilicho, whoever the racist priest was who whispered in honorius ear to get Stilicho killed. They all managed Honorius just fine. At least Caligula can say he built aqueducts and defeated Neptune.....

Puppet. That's all Honorius was. Rome was sacked for the 2nd time (even though it was 800 years since the first time it was sacked)He was nothing compared to his father, Theodosius.

Only reason people remember honorius is because of Rome's sacking if he would've given the Goths the Danube.

Note: sorry if I'm coming off as hostile. The fall of the roman empire is very sad to me. Its why I don't like talking about it too much. Its going to make it hard for me to play Attila and I know who I'm going to pick...... Confusedad:

Well, no. The Manager was Stilicho, the Late Roman Empire of the West worked around a Child-Emperor and Manager partnership. Just like Valentinian II and Arbogast, Constantius III and Honorius, Valentinian III and Theodosius II, and Valentinian III and Aetius.

Stilicho died because he, IMO, utterly failed to focus on the immediate issues besetting the Western Empire and instead tried to take control of Arcadius in the East as well, and that's what got him killed.

By comparison, Aetius died because Valentinian III suddenly decided he wanted to become an active emperor, which the rest of the Empire didn't like so they killed him hoping to put a new child-emperor on the throne.

This isn't a wide-spread perspective yet because the book on it only came out last year.
interesting view point. There absolutely was a few hands in the pot to say the least.

Stilicho was a Vandal, and when Theodocius was on his "death bed" That Theodocious said that he whispered in his ear (Stilicho) that he wanted him to help his son lead the Empire. However, Stilicho is the only one who heard Theodocious say that.....Stilicho did some shoddy things, but he also did a lot of good and kept the Western going.

It is what it is.

Quote:Stilicho was a Vandal,
No he wasn't. He was a Roman with a Vandal father.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome..Total Realism Question and one for Total War version arklore70 1 1,748 02-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Optio equitum