Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Furca Reconstruction
So I'm thinking about making a furca, and I happened to come in possession of a large amount of Elm shafts. My question is, is that a type of would that would have used and Should I take the time to make one out of it or should I go and buy dowels to make it?

All comments and advice is much appreciated.
Roger L. Crisp
Cogito Ergo Sum
Quintus Equitius Crispin
look at these
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/20-roman-re...furca.html
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
This is worth reading as well.
http://www.legiiavg.org.uk/index_files/Page32663.htm
Kevin
Kevin
@kevin ,maybe there is a possibility that if the furcapole is about 1.8 metrs it can (if you have 5 ) be used as tentpoles???
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Possibly, we have yet to try this in our group.
Kevin
Kevin
Thank you all for the articles, but it still doesn't answer my question if elm shafts would be a good wood to use for one?
Roger L. Crisp
Cogito Ergo Sum
Quintus Equitius Crispin
I have always been told that Ash is the best wood to use. I cannot see a problem with you using the Elm wood though. Use a sturdy branch 1.5 to 2 inch diameter. This may sound large but just you wait till you have all your kit on that pole.....it gets very heavy.
Kevin
Kevin
Thank you. I was also doing some research into the grains of woods and how their makeups look and it appears that Elm and Ash share a very close resemblance in the makeup of their grains. Maybe not in coloring, but in how they grow.

Thanks again for all the replies.
Roger L. Crisp
Cogito Ergo Sum
Quintus Equitius Crispin
Re the kit on the pole....before you mount the gear, no matter what method you choose for construction, think...what do I actually need? Rather than the sculpture shows this or matey has that on his. think of the things YOU need to march with.
Kevin
Kevin