Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conference in Meerut
Gagan, Christian Miks book is:

Band 8: Christian Miks, Studien zur römischen Schwertbewaffnung in der Kaiserzeit.
Teil I - Text. Teil II - Katalog und Tafeln.
Inhalt: 938 S., 117 Abbildungen, 30 Tabellen, 352 Tafeln.
Erscheinungsjahr: 2007
Erscheinungsort: Rahden/Westf.
ISBN-13: 978-3-89646-136-0
Buchhandelspreispreis: 139,80 €

Here:
http://archaeologie.uni-koeln.de/node/61

Theres also a book on Roman shields I had this out recently from the library, its probably a good one stop resource.... however as I probably already have more info then the book contains its not so useful to me:

Band 10: Ansgar Nabbefeld, Römische Schilde. Studien zu Funden und bildlichen Überlieferungen vom Ende der Republik bis in die späte Kaiserzeit.
Erscheinungsjahr: voraussichtlich Frühjahr 2008
Erscheinungsort: Rahden/Westf.
ISBN-13: 978-3-89646-138-4

Both in German :wink:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Please be advised that piecing together a sword and scabbard from Miks is a lot of work and requires a working knowledge of German. Having said that, the pictures in the second volume do provide a good insight into how individual componants were made and put together.

Best course for Gagan is to get a consultant who can advise Deepeeka, putting in the much needed but time consuming research. Many with that type of knowledge are well vested in Roman re-enactment or are artisans themselves and so I doubt they would be willing to work for kit.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Miks book is brilliant for reference, no doubt about it...even when you can't read German....mind you crucial parts can be easily translated with software these days.
I do agree entirely with Robert's comments above though.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com