Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCA Roman-esc Helmet
Hey everybody,

So I'm apart of the SCA and am working on a roman build for a Heavy fighting suit. my most recent addition to the set is a Helmet that my knight let me deconstruct into my own helmet. I thought someone may be interested and be willing to give input on its design and construction.

I do realize I'm missing a few bits such as the brow band and the ear covers, and maybe even the eyebrows, but I'm still working on it and hopefully will be able to make it look pretty and intimidating.

Thanks for your comments and your support :-D

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Roger L. Crisp
Cogito Ergo Sum
Quintus Equitius Crispin
Here are the rest of my pictures to show how the present deigns looks and fits. I had to dismantle it once to make adjustments to fit my face better.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Roger L. Crisp
Cogito Ergo Sum
Quintus Equitius Crispin
Hey well done! That has come along very nicely! As someone who has been studying the roman kit and amending it for the SCA I think you have translated very well. I'd also highly suggest if you ever want another helmet, to look at the auxiliary cavalry/infantry helmets from the 2nd and 3rd as they fit very nicely into the realm of SCA safety compliant, with very few modifications.

What are your future plans for the helm other than ears and brow bar? Did you have any pictures of the rest of your kit?
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
Saddly that's the only part of my kit I have thus far. I will be creating Lorica Segmentata, and Greaves to accompany the design. I will also be creating two separate shield's. One for war, which will be a large square Scutum and then the other will be a smaller Oval shield that I will use for tourney fights...

I'm not sure what else I should do to make the helmet better either. I'm thinking of having brass eyebrows, but I'm not sure.

Have you made a kit. If so I'd love to see it and maybe pull some better ideas from it.
Roger L. Crisp
Cogito Ergo Sum
Quintus Equitius Crispin