Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eagles in the Dust - by Adrian Coombs-Hoar
I hope it is not too impertinent to post here my review of the book mentioned above?

I quote from the book description first for those of you not familiar with the period:

In AD376 large groups of Goths, seeking refuge from the Huns, sought admittance to the Eastern Roman Empire. Emperor Valens took the strategic decision to grant them entry, hoping to utilize them as a source of manpower for his campaigns against Persia. The Goths had been providing good warriors to Roman armies for decades. However, mistreatment of the refugees by Roman officials led them to take up arms against their hosts. The resultant battle near Adrianopolis in AD378, in which Valens lost his life, is regarded as one of the most significant defeats ever suffered by Roman arms. The Roman historian Ammianus Marcellinus called it the worst massacre since Cannae, nearly six hundred years previously. Modern historians have accorded it great significance both at a tactical level, due to the success of Gothic cavalry over the vaunted Roman infantry, and in strategic terms, often citing it as the beginning of the end for the Empire. Adrian Coombs-Hoar untangles the debate that still surrounds many aspects such claims with an insightful account that draws on the latest research.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagles-Dust-Roma...rd_title_0

I finished the book last week and posted a review on Amazon. Please like the review if you can as it raises the author's profile in the rankings!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Done :wink:
Again, thanks for letting us know the book is finally out. I discussed events leading to Adrianople with Adrian some time ago, particularly the Tyrfingi civil war that led up to Fritigern's Christians crossing the Danube. This vitally important information was not recorded by Ammianus, and it changes the historical prelude to Adrianople.

I just "Pre-Ordered" the book, which (for some unknown reason) is NOT available on Amazon.com... only on Amazon.uk. I find this disconcerting, a singular company which can't get its sh*t together, not in sales or reviews. A year or so ago, I reviewed a Roman-era novel on Amazon.uk. HOWEVER, that review was never posted on Amazon.com.

In any event, the circumstances leading to Adrianople, the so-called Arian conversion of "pagans" as popularly misrepresented, and the extreme ambiguity found in Ammianus, all make for more questions than we can answer. I'm looking forward to Adrian's take on things. But only after reading Eagles in the Dust, can I post a conscientious review.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Alanus,

I look forward to your thoughts on it - particularly the Gothic issues in the lead up to Adrianople. The more I read about the battle the more tragic it seems. My interest is vested however as once I am finished with the current trilogy I am writing (on the 3rd Book now), I will be writing about those fateful events - so the more perspectives and opinions I can read, the better.

I am a little surprised to read about the Amazon issue: I have been publishing through Amazon for over 2 years now and never had a problem when it comes to availability in other countries. Reviews, alas, are country specific, though.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
I have ordered my copy from Abebooks as Amazon has a tendency to stiff me with shipping costs with me living
in Australia. Your book sounds interesting as well Francis. Will you be covering other groups besides the Greutingi & Tervingi like the Alans as well in the lead up to the Danube crossing & then the battle? 8-)

Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
In parts, yes, to give a rounded and sympathetic perspective. It's a work of fiction however and the main protagonists will be primarily Roman from within the Empire (some of whom will have figured in the current trilogy and in an earlier novel). My aim is to undercut the heroics and one-sidedness of this battle's current reception and present a more nuanced and tragic view from all sides. Valens himself will centre the work as a plain man thrust into impossible odds and doing the best he can while aware of his faliings. His parallel, Fritigurn, echoes many of his traits as a 'barbarian' counter-point.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii