Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Crafts
Hi, so I am apart of the SCA and the knight I am training under is now becoming the king of our kingdom, and therefore I do a lot travelling and have to sit in on a lot of discussions that do not really pertain to me and for the most part am not suppose to know about. So my question is, is there any simple tasks or crafts that are Roman in nature that I could pick up that would keep my hands busy and allow me to do my duty to my knight. :?

I had originally thought about doing viking wire weaving or, crocheting, but I wanted something that would more fit my persona and that could be a lot of fun while I sit in on the discussions going on around me. Confusedmile:

I know there are probably hundreds of topics on here that already discuss this, but I can not seem to form the words that will pull up anything useful on this site or the web.

Thank you for all the input and ideas that you can give me. Big Grin
Roger L. Crisp
Cogito Ergo Sum
Quintus Equitius Crispin
Try making some chain-mail, some people enjoy it.... its like knitting but more manly Big Grin
If you use solid flat and round split wire links of a reasonably small size it should look fine as well

tools: a couple of pairs of pliers and some links... :wink:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
I have thought about that, and have actually tinkered with it before. The only problem I have with that is that I usually have to carry a box that is laden down with the tools and metals and my rings usually slip off and ruin my projects which makes me sad. hah Smile
Roger L. Crisp
Cogito Ergo Sum
Quintus Equitius Crispin
You could try sewing leather and making boots and bags, like the cammachio bag or a loculus.
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
That could be fun, but I don't usually work on leather stuff unless i need something, due to the fact that I am literally flat broke.

I love the fact that you guys are giving me ideas and I thank you immensely and I don't want to sound like I'm whining I'm just playing the worst parts about each idea so that I can figure out which one would be the funnest and the most practical for me Smile You guys are great for all your input. And thanks again
Roger L. Crisp
Cogito Ergo Sum
Quintus Equitius Crispin