Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Gallic Hoods\' material?
I'm talking about the hood-type garments that we sometimes see pictures of in the western provinces. Most depictions don't show colour, though a wall painting from the Rhineland shows then in dark brown. Now I've seen at least one sculpture that clearly shows a kind of shaggy texture. In your estimation, would that represent fur, or could it be cloth with a raised nape or 'fothering'? (Both are quite useful in keeping rain off the wearer) Similarly it has been suggested that the smooth kind are leather rather than cloth (leather garments have been found, but I don't know what specific one to base this interpretation on).<br>
<br>
Now, I know that an intact wool hood has been found in the Orkneys, but that is both out of period and out of area (I bet the pattern can be adapted without undue worry, though). I've also heard of a bog find in Denmark, but don't know details.<br>
<br>
Can anyone point me in a useful direction? I'd like to make a hood like the Neumagen hunter has, but I'm wary of investing in either leather or good wool until I know which interpretation holds more water. (My instincts say cloth, but that's not very scientific) <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach