Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Access \"Roman Military Records\" by Fink?
Many references include "Roman Military Records on Papyrus" by R.O. Fink (1971) in their footnotes and/or bibliography, however I haven't been able to find the work anywhere online.

Before I go hunting for an old paper copy, has anyone here

1. found an online copy?
2. have a review they'd like to share on the work?

Many thanks,

Steve Pelikan
Issaquah, WA
Steve in WA

Pone hic aliqua ingeniosum.
Quote:Many references include "Roman Military Records on Papyrus" by R.O. Fink (1971) in their footnotes and/or bibliography, however I haven't been able to find the work anywhere online.

Before I go hunting for an old paper copy, has anyone here

1. found an online copy?
Unlikely as it is still in copyright. Even the Oxford university libraries only give access to a dead-tree version. It is a really good book and a prime candidate for a reprint.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I obtained a copy through inter library loan. While a remarkable work of scholarship, sadly it lacks any photographs or facsimiles of the documents or fragments themselves.

Of particular interest is the duty roster of Legio III Cyrenaica, listing 37 men and what they are detailed to do.
"Working on Helius' parade armor", "on leave by the kindness of the prefect," "in the armory," "digging sand," "on guard duty at headquarters," "cleaning stables/latrine orderly," etc.

Quite a bit to digest before I have to return it in early October.
Steve in WA

You might also find work by Roger Bagnall and Richard Alston interesting as they look at Roman-Egypt records on ostraka and papyrus. Should be able to find pdf's on academia.edu and google ebooks, etc. Also, "Life in Egypt under Roman Rule" by N. Lewis
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:"Working on Helius' parade armor"
This raises the old question of whether the Romans had parade armour or not. Fink puts '(?)' after 'parade'. The word in the original is 'ornatus'. This can have connotations of splendour but need not mean any more than simply 'equipment'. One might expect a centurion, as Helius apparently was, to have more elaborate equipment than the common soldier, so the use of ornatus (if it has any special significance) may indicate nothing more than this.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Professionally and in my history hobbies I'm fascinated by the differences and inter-relations between data (the markings on the papyrus), information (interpreting those markings to mean "parade armor" vs. "ornaments on armor" vs. the modern British military terminology of "best battle dress") to knowledge ("we KNOW they had parade armor in addition to battle armor/they wore their best armor into battle/etc.)

Ideally, all three eventually combine and contribute to wisdom: often knowing the faults in your knowledge.
Steve in WA