Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Niya bowcase and quiver info?
I am looking for more written info and pictures or drawings from the Niya bow case and quivers.
I would like to know whether the quivers where sewn together and sewn to the bow case to?
Was it only made from leather or was there some wood also?
What about an attachment piont for the tying it to a belt or such? I do see some loose ends of wich one semes to have been braided.

The attached picture is what I have so far...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Very interesting! In what historical period fits this finding?
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
Quote:Very interesting! In what historical period fits this finding?

Hunnish 1st to 4th..... China National Silk Museum so presumably far east Confusedmile:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
The bow and quiver found in Xinjiang Province has duplicates found in the Crimea and the Bosphorus. The bow was first developed by the Sargats in the 3rd century BC. This was east of the Urals. I'm not in favor of the old term "Hunnic bow," simply because it was invented 700 years before the first historical Huns arrived in Roman literature. These bows never went out of style, and mine is only a decade old. The quiver has also been found in Sarmatian territories north of the Black Sea. I believe the bow-case and quiver were attached to each other. I would guess that the quiver had a hollow reinforcement of some material to keep it rigid, whereas the bow case was nothing more than a leather sleeve. Here is the bow and case depicted in roughly 1st century BC to AD 1st century, as on the Orlat Plaque. Just a wild guess from a barbarian. ;-)0

[attachment=11799]CataphractsinLamellararmorOrlatplaquec.100BC-AD100.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11800]OrlatBeltPlaquefromSogdiana-2.jpg[/attachment]

Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
They are also seen in the Vergilius Vaticanus manuscript:

[Image: RomanVirgilFolio074v.jpg]

But yes, these were typical of the Huns and Sarmatians, from my understanding. Alanus does know more about central asian military equipment than me.

I'd put the dating range for this type of bowcase, quiver, etc. at anywhere from the 2nd BC to the 6th AD.
Quote:They are also seen in the Vergilius Vaticanus manuscript:

[Image: RomanVirgilFolio074v.jpg]

Where in this illustration from Britain do we see a combination Saka/Sarmatian bowcase and quiver? My eyesight isn't what it used to be, so I need help.
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

The giant tube above the flowers is the same as the style of quiver posted in the OP.
Hi, I blew the revelant part of the image up in Photoshop, don't know if it helps but my eyesight too is not what it once was.

[attachment=11805]RomanVirgilblowup.jpg[/attachment]

Regards
Michael Kerr

Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Folkert's original post has three pictures, all of them combination quiver bow cases, The quiver is Attached to the bow case. This is different than a singular quiver with no attached bow case hovering over British flowers ;-) .

Here are Folkert's illustrations. The Orlat Plaque actually shows two (2) quivers attached in tandem, most likely to keep two styles or weights of arrows separate from one another.

[attachment=11806]Niya01.jpg[/attachment]

And the artifact illustration shows a single quiver attached to the bow case. This "reconstruction" does not look accurate and shows a solid tube for the bow, perhaps some archaeologist's idea of what it should look like, BUT entirely impractical for removing or storing an eared composite bow.

[attachment=11807]Niya012.jpg[/attachment]

Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

The part for the bow is made of soft leather and can be seen behind the shorter arrow tube. The entire structure is IIRC made of leather, with stiffer leather for the arrow quivers and a soft leather for the bowcase. I am not sure if there is any info on whether the two quivers are attached to each other or the bowcase alone, but I imagine they would be joined together also. The bow was found strung and warped so we cannot use it to infer whether the shape of the bowcase was for a strung or unstrung bow. Dating wise, these quivers first appear in CA in the 3rd-2nd C BC OR 1st C BC depending on whose book you read, and their last occurrence is the 6th C AD, although they are very rare by that time.

Another item of similar constructuon from Xinjiang has had one of the arrow tubes decay, and we can see it attached to the bowcase and the other arrow tube in one large stitch using thick lacing rather than stitches. It appears to be a spiral running stitch that goes through all layers. On the front edge there are numerous streaming leather thongs roughly 1/3 way down the arrow tube, and a long leather strap with holes in it seems to arise from either the back edge or the inside surface. In fact if you look closely you can see it on the Niya one posted here also. These would be used for wearing it or attaching it to a saddle. A slighly different suspension system is seen on Orlat and Rag e Bibi
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan
IIRC ??
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
If I Recall Correctly
Cheryl Boeckmann
Asymmetric bow and arrow.

Template was the bow and quiver, from the province of Xinjiang .
A combined case for a bow and arrows.
The length of the quiver that my arrows adjusted .
With the decoration he would not be usable for the late antiquity .

The decoration is Han time or another steppe people...
But will still build a new decorated bowcase, like this....

A combined case for a bow and arrows from Xinjiang...

Lebendige Geschichte
Geschichtsdarstellungen aller Art für Museen, Schulen und
Geschichtsinteressierte
Experimentelle Archäologie, Archäotechnik , Museumspädagogik

E-mail:[email protected]

http://lebendigegeschichte.myblog.de/

This one shown on a Bosphorus sculpture (AD 2nd C.) is presumably Alan, as we find Alanic names in the Bosphoran Kingdom at this time. It shows the bow strung and only one quiver tube. Sorry for the miniature illustration. Sad

Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Thanks

The next have also 2 quiver for arrows, like the original from Xinjiang.

l musst make this.. ;-)
Just for me...

Lebendige Geschichte
Geschichtsdarstellungen aller Art für Museen, Schulen und
Geschichtsinteressierte
Experimentelle Archäologie, Archäotechnik , Museumspädagogik

E-mail:[email protected]

http://lebendigegeschichte.myblog.de/