Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Segmentata & Auxiliary (Niederbieber) type helmets
Hi all,

I was wondering if any reenactors have worn the cavalry Niederbieber/heddernheim helmets with Lorica Segmentata? I have been told that the overlap for this helmet & armour may not have been great but i am interested in how people found the longer helmets with the shoulder pieces, if it was comfortable or if there was feedback on this combination.

Regards
Rufus
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
The remergruppe augsburg does use this combination in their group. Not sure if we have any of their members on this board.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Comitatus has done this in their 3rd century displays as well. You could email John Conyard and ask him probably.
I have a Gallic J, which while not exactly the same, the sloped neck guard and long cheek guards can interact negatively with the Seg, if the helmet rides too low on my head.

The trick is finding the correct height to wear the helmet so that it's not an issue.
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
I love the Gallic J, I want one so bad.
I kind of want to head butt someone with it, just to see how effective the high brow guard is, you know... for head butting...
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
Considering the dating of the Helmet (roughly 100 AD) and the location at which it was found (Brigetio on the Danubian bend) it was probably a defense against the Falx.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Niederbieber helmets NBhelm23 0 173 08-03-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: NBhelm23
  Corbridge type Segmentata hinges cast or folded sheet? Anonymous 8 3,219 03-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Anonymous