Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dissertation on Reconstruction, free book
Hi all!
My dissertation "Rekonstruktion als epistemisches Medium am Beispiel Römische Soldaten""
(Reconstruction as an Epistemic Medium discussed on the example of "Roman Soldiers")

has been published online here: http://www.opus-bayern.de/uni-passau/vol...2015/2765/

Have fun reading! =)

If you want a printed copy, please contact me, it is 40.-€ plus shipping.

Here´s an abstract:

Quote:Both, popular literature and academic literature about Roman soldiers and their equipment frequently show basic methodological problems in the interpretation of the contexts of the objects used by Roman soldiers. This text discusses these problems with the help of several examples. The discussion shall make clear that defined methodological concepts and a defined terminology are most necessary, if such problems shall not occur in future investigations. This text defines the terms, explains problems in the proceedings of reconstruction and shows clear guidelines for the use of reconstructions as sources for Classical and Ancient Studies, while going beyond a pure anthropocentric point of view of the historic context of objects, i.e. questions of the type that appears in the context of Experimental Archaeology, or when examining networks of ‚material agency, helping us to discover and understand ‚epistemische Dinge‛ (epistemic things). Different examples in interpreting textual, material and iconographic sources show, what criteria should influence our interpretation of them.

Sowohl in der wissenschaftlichen, als auch in der populärwissenschaftlichen Literatur zu römischen Soldaten und ihrer Ausrüstung treten in Bezug auf die Interpretation der Kontexte der von ihnen benutzten historischen Objekte regelmäßig unterschiedliche methodische Probleme auf, die in der vorliegenden Arbeit anhand von Einzelbeispielen diskutiert werden. Die Diskussion soll deutlich machen, daß es klarer methodischer Konzepte und klarer Begriffe bedarf, um derartige Probleme in der künftigen Forschung zu vermeiden. Diese Arbeit definiert die notwendigen Begriffe, erklärt die Probleme in der Vorgehensweise der Rekonstruktion und arbeitet klare Richtlinien zur Benutzung von Rekonstruktionen als Quellen für die Altertumswissenschaften aus. Gleichzeitig versucht die Arbeit, einen Weg für die sinnvolle Dokumentation von Rekonstruktionen für eine wissenschaftliche Verwertbarkeit im Rahmen von Fragestellungen, die über eine rein anthropozentrische Sicht des historischen Kontextes der Objekte hinausgehen, also Fragestellungen, wie sie in der Experimentellen Archäologie oder bei der Untersuchung von Netzwerken der ‚material agency‛ auftauchen können und die helfen, ‚epistemische Dinge‛ zu erkennen, aufzuzeigen. Anhand verschiedener Beispiele zur Interpretation textlicher, materieller und ikonographischer Quellen wird im Anschluß gezeigt, worauf hierfür bei der Quelleninterpretation zu achten ist.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Thanks for the link, Christian. Looking forward to read your interesting ideas I've heard some snapshots off already.
ALA I BATAVORUM
will be reading when I have time, I thought you were based in Regensburg not Passau, I am passing by 2-3 times a year in that region maybe will try to meet you next summer

Gelu
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Will read this when I get around to it. It's one more on my gigantic list of "to-read" Big Grin

Good job!
Already my brain hurts from trying to read the abstract (English version too). Will it be translated into 5th grade American English or must I buy an large bottle of extra strength Excedrin? :? I have no hope whatsoever to read this in my limited German and I predict google translate will not be much help with technical terminology.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
I don´t know? If somone pays for it, maybe?
Christian K.

Can an "ordinary" translator be used or does it have to be someone who is experienced in the technical field?
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Should be someone who knows a bit about Model-theory (which is a branch of Philosophy of Mathematics), Labor Studies and about the mechanics of Actor-Network-Theory (not necessarily about the use of ANT or its implications). Otherwise the terminologies might get really screwed up. But I could make the corrections myself, so then an "ordinary" translator might just do it.
Christian K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Dutch part of Lower Germanic Limes (free book) Robert Vermaat 2 361 08-22-2021, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Roman Herefordshire (UK) Dissertation Help Amethyst_ice 7 1,800 01-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Last Post: Amethyst_ice