Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Migrant Workers in Late Antiquity
In her book, Daily Life in Late Antiquity, Kristina Sessa mentions Migrant Farm Workers.

Her book is a unique look at life in the Later Roman Empire.  Unlike the books, Working IX to V by Vicki Leon, or Invisible Romans by Robert Knapp, this looks at the forces that moulded the life of the aristocrat and the peasant.

However, I have a question about something she mentioned.  Migrant Farm Workers.  All I had read before seemed to indicate that all peasants were bound to the land for tax purposes.  How then, does a migrant worker fit in and why had I not read of this before?
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
I think that, as in every agrarian society, Roman farmers also needed extra workers to harvest their crops. Therefore, in order to gain these extra hands, there must have been workers that travelled from region to region to follow the harvesttime.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
If you can get to a library, see "Bringing in the Sheaves: Economy and Metaphor in the Roman World" by Brent Shaw
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Bringing in the Sheaves

Thanks. Now that the library here is open again, I will do an Inter-Library loan and see if I can find it.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Do we have any information regarding where these migrant workers came from? Were they landless countryside dwellers, impoverished urbanites, freed slaves without resources, "actual" immigrants?
Paul McPherson
Ave, Till_When,

No, I don't. I just ran across that information in the book and wondered how it worked.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Minor and fragmentary historians in Late Antiquity Simplex 2 967 10-24-2020, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Any experts in late antiquity in here? Petronius 2 2,227 02-03-2017, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Inauguration of praefectus urbi in late antiquity Anahita Hoose 5 3,387 11-02-2016, 01:33 AM
Last Post: Anahita Hoose