Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman military camps
Hello everybody,

I need your help. I know this forum is full of experts about Roman history archaeology.
I'm about to start my dissertation and I want to write about a Roman military camp (or even a small fort). I have a few ideas (Birdoswald, Cawthorn, Brancaster) but I would like to hear more from you.

Can you help me find a site? Do you have any advice?

Thank you!
Take a look at Richard Alston's "Soldier and Society in Roman Egypt" (Routledge), you might also be able to find a version of it online.
He has a section on Roman forts and outposts in Egypt, including some layout plans.

There is also the site at Dura Europos, check with Yale University (that did a major excavation there), there was a companion book to a somewhat recent traveling exhibit, "Dura-Europos: Crossroads of Antiquity", Brody/Hoffman. I sort of covet that book, but it's been very difficult to track down a copy that's not very expensive (they apparently did a very limited run)

Also "Garrison Life at Vindolanda: A Band of Brothers", A. Birley. Although I don't yet have a copy and have not yet read it myself.

There's a few books from Osprey Publishing on Roman forts, their works cited could be utilized for extended research.
And, there's "Life in a Roman Fort" by Peter Connolly, although probably a bit dated by now, but should still be a good reference. (his "Greece and Rome at War" also has a section on fortifications, although some information is a bit outdated as well, but, tremendous illustrations)
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
This has some good info and sources.
Castra
Angelo.
There are two Roman camps of great interest just west of Carvoran near Greenhead that are just south of the Stanegate frontier road these are most unusual from the fact that both have gateways with Tutulus and Clavicular gate ways into them, these camps are earlier than the wall and helped to cover the Tipalt burn gap just west of the Stanegate fort of Carvoran they are known as Glenwhelt Leazes and Chaple Rigg camps.
They can both be seen on Google earth very clearly and not so far apart the Glenwhelt one is now within a golf course and they are the only ones anywhere in the area or in the north of England I would think no others that I have heard of.
Brian Stobbs
Marching camps in Wales - good source book on that, Davies and Jones

Or try this

http://www.roman-britain.org/index.htm
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Try and find the most info available for the said item you want.....ie, don't say its this one, say this its the one with the most info.
Kevin
Kevin
Angelo.
Where I have mentioned the two camps near Carvoran is that they are in a very strategic place for this is the point where the Whine Sill ends and the Red Rock fault begins, hence the reason that Hadrian's Wall had to be built in turf to the west of this point as there was no more limestone in the western area.
The Tipalt Burn runs south through this point that made it a very vulnerable place not only for Hadrian's Wall but also for the earlier frontier of the Stanegate so should we wish to try to read into the reasons as to why these camps are so rare with their double style of gates having both Tutulus and Clavicular may suggest that so much extra protection was needed at this place.
Then of course the Fort of Magna that is at Carvoran on the east side of this gap may well also have had a more defensive arrangement for this Stanegate frontier, therefore these points may help to give so much more of an interesting paper for you to come up with for there is also that there is the major Roman road the Maiden way that runs through this place that these camps could have helped to secure.
Brian Stobbs
Angelo,
Where are you based? If you live in the UK (or abroad, if you can stand the fare), you could do worse than to attend the Roman Army School in Durham at the end of March. There you would meet David Breeze and other experts on Roman forts.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
You guys gave me so many information. Smile
I need a couple of days (I have two essays due next Wednesday and I do not have enough time to read everything, right now), then I will read all the link and I am going to start searching more about all the things mentioned above.

Thank you so much!!! :-)

(I'm in York, right now, so the perfect camp would be in Yorkshire)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman camps UK - is there a database or list? Steve Kaye 55 10,967 01-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Alan316
  New \"old\" roman camps Simplex 3 1,485 06-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Simplex
  Roman Camps Found in Germany jho 10 3,164 05-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Last Post: Simplex