Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet Source?
Hi

RAT has been very helpful with a couple of recent questions of mine so I am hoping this one will prove easy too!

Does anyone know if there is any original historical source for this movie helmet, sculptural, archaeological etc...?

If so a picture or reference would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Graham.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hi Graham,

I would say this helmet is inspired by the animal crested helmets depicted on monuments like the Portonaccio-sarcophagus, Aurelian frieses on the Arc of Constantine etc. as well by the original helmets like Theilenhofen etc. But as the crests are mostly depicting eagles or griffins this movie-helmet might be born out of the film makers fantasy.
I never saw a depiction of a wolf-crest in Roman art (or at least cannot remember it) so I would say it is not based on a certain find or monument.
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Hi Andreas.

You are probably correct. However as most other items in the same film appear to be based on something I am not so sure this has been made up, especially as it is so prominent. It is probable it may be based on an antiquarian interpretation or is a modern misinterpretation of an ancient source.

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Which film is it, as a matter of curiosity?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Hello Michael

PM sent

Graham.

I am also curious as to what film that was! Please Share!

Regards
Richard
If I had to guess(not Really) I would say that was Caesar and Cleopatra with Claude Rains and the incomparable Vivien Leigh from 1945? though I can honestly say I haven't seen the film for decades..... do I get a prize Idea

Oh and the guy wearing the helmet IS Claude Rains playing Caesar :wink:

Who cares about History and fancy headgear when you've got Vivien Leigh anyway? you've been looking at too many helmets Graham Big Grin
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Indeed you are correct Ivor, although it is Basil Sydney in the photo and not Claude Rains.

The surviving print of the film is very washed out and Vivien Leigh is so pale she almost disappears in some scenes!

As to the helmet I do not think it is made up it must be based on something, possibly a Victorian painting or something like that.

Best wishes.

Graham.

I think your right about the helmet being something from art though I cant think where at the moment, I'm certain I've seen something very much like this though it may not be classical art but somewhat later... still

Felt sure that was Claude Rains maybe him and Basil are related...so I only get half a point ohh well Smile

heres a picci...

[attachment=11662]CaesarandCleo1945.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11663]caesar-cleopatra-81VivienLeigh.jpg[/attachment]
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Hi Graham!

I happened to be at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston taking in a Roman gallery talk on Roman imagery and society.

I happened to notice this Gladiator dude with a helmet crest that looks similar to the movie helmet you posted.
Figured you'd get a kick out of it.

The Museum tag says
"Knife Handle in shape of Gladiator" Roman Imperial Period 1st-2nd Centuries AD
Bronze

Edwin Jack Fund #1984-142

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)