Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin phrase for Roman Army?
Quote: the chapter here has some discussion of a later Roman 'shift in meaning' of the word imperium to denote 'a bounded territory of empire' rather than a sphere of authority:

News and Frontier Consciousness in the Late Roman Empire
It is obviously difficult to assess the author's full argument from a brief extract but, although he makes a case for the Romans having a growing appreciation that there were limits to the reach of their imperium and that, in time, those limits coalesced into fixed boundaries, he does not seem to go so far as to state that they had a term for the 'Roman Empire' as such.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:Can we say Tacitus is the exception that proves the rule? He uses the phrase exercitus Romanus twice ([i]Hist[/i]. 4.57; 75)
Not necessarily. In the first passage, the context indicates that Tacitus is referring to 'a' Roman army, not 'the' Roman Army; in the second, he is referring to the Roman army in that particular locality, as opposed to the enemy army. With a far-flung empire and limited means of communication, it is not surprising that the Romans should have a series of local armies, rather than a single army with centralised control.
Michael King Macdona

Quote:Not necessarily. In the first passage, the context indicates that Tacitus is referring to 'a' Roman army, not 'the' Roman Army; in the second, he is referring to the Roman army in that particular locality, as opposed to the enemy army.
Which I think was precisely my point. The Roman army don't refer to themselves in that way, but Tacitus does so, employing poetic licence (something not unknown in his writings) :-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Which I think was precisely my point.
Sorry, I still don't get it.
Michael King Macdona

Quote:
Latinitas post=364425 Wrote:It is:
IMPERIVM ROMANVM
IMPERIVM ROMANORVM
Unless you're CreateSpace, of course, who don't believe U was represented by V in the Roman alphabet (not that I'm bitter, you understand ...) :mad:
With my Devil's Advocate's hat on, as the quotation does not come from a Roman author but from a 17th century theologian, are the 'V's appropriate anyway?
Michael King Macdona

Quote:are the 'V's appropriate anyway?
Quintessentially.

Mike Bishop

Quote:
mcbishop post=364453 Wrote:Which I think was precisely my point.
Sorry, I still don't get it.
Could you explain, please?
Michael King Macdona

Quote:Sorry, I still don't get it.
Could you explain, please?
Nathan Ross wrote that
Quote:Simon James, In Rome and the Sword, makes an interesting point: "Startlingly, the Romans had no term equivalent to our phrase 'the Roman Army', because no such entity or concept existed."
and I made the point that this was not strictly true, as Tacitus had used the phrase exercitus Romanus, even if the Roman army themselves did not. I think Tacitus counts as a Roman ;-)

I hope that makes things clearer.

Mike Bishop

Quote:
mcbishop post=364435 Wrote:
Latinitas post=364425 Wrote:It is:
IMPERIVM ROMANVM
IMPERIVM ROMANORVM
Unless you're CreateSpace, of course, who don't believe U was represented by V in the Roman alphabet (not that I'm bitter, you understand ...) :mad:
With my Devil's Advocate's hat on, as the quotation does not come from a Roman author but from a 17th century theologian, are the 'V's appropriate anyway?

Is there actually debate over the V vs U? How else do you get "double woo" = "w" later on?
There are some who call me ......... Tim?
Quote:Nathan Ross wrote that
Quote:Simon James, In Rome and the Sword, makes an interesting point: "Startlingly, the Romans had no term equivalent to our phrase 'the Roman Army', because no such entity or concept existed."
and I made the point that this was not strictly true, as Tacitus had used the phrase exercitus Romanus, even if the Roman army themselves did not. I think Tacitus counts as a Roman ;-)

I hope that makes things clearer.
Strangely enough, I understood that. It was your reaction to my post concerning the circumstances in which Tacitus used the expression that puzzled me.
Michael King Macdona

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army Terminology Greek-Latin Julian de Vries 3 1,466 10-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Latin names for late Roman field army units Gäiten 13 4,337 09-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Gäiten