Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
updated opinions of RLQM segmentatas?
Ave,<br>
<br>
Just curious as to recent opinion regarding the quality of RLQM segmentatas. Legio XX's site still states that hinge construction and shoulder plate width are questionable. Has anyone seen a recent version? If so, have the issues been resolved?<br>
<br>
Many thanks<br>
<p></p><i></i>
<br>
RLQM or MRL?<br>
<br>
RLQM is based in San Diego, California and their gear is made by reenactors from the IX Hispana.<br>
<br>
MRL (Museum Replicars, Limited) is owned by Windlass Steelcrafts (who also owns Atlanta Cutlery).<br>
<br>
Scythius - one of the shop apes from RLQM/LEG IX <p>Scythius<br>
LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB<br>
<br>
- FIDELITAS - - VIRTUS - - MAGNANIMITAS - </p><i></i>
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
I wouldn't even bother asking about MRL <br>
<br>
This is from Legio XX's site, segmetata page, updated 10/27/04:<br>
<br>
"Neither the finished lorica nor the kit from Roman Legion Quartermaster has been examined for accuracy, but the lobed hinges are cast as flat blanks and then folded, not properly cut from sheet. It is suspected that the fittings may be too thick, as well, and the shoulder guards may be too wide."<br>
<br>
<br>
I know, I know--it's all "haven't seen" or "may be" statements---I was just wanting other opinions from those who have actually seen the piece. My use of the term "updated" was, perhaps, misleading.<br>
<br>
Thanks <p></p><i></i>
"Neither the finished lorica nor the kit from Roman Legion Quartermaster has been examined for accuracy, but the lobed hinges are cast as flat blanks and then folded, not properly cut from sheet. It is suspected that the fittings may be too thick, as well, and the shoulder guards may be too wide."<br>
<br>
I suppose I should respond...<br>
<br>
The latest info, not to be compared with segs made 12 or even 2 years ago.<br>
<br>
The bronze for fittings is sometimes cast and hammered into thin sheets and then worked into various fittings. Same with brass if requested.<br>
<br>
The fittings vary in gauge.. due to sheet casts and hammering... also depends upon what the customer requests.<br>
<br>
None of my fittings are dremeled, sawn (hand or power), angle grinded, or power sanded from commercial sheet anymore.... Nowadays I use hammers and chisels and files...the real proper way.<br>
<br>
Shoulder guard width can vary if you want it too. I generally proportion the seg to fit a body type. Two inch wide shoulder guards are way way too small on a large torso.. just doesn't look right... tiny shoudler gaurds on a large guy. Other plates can be similarly proportioned and scaled.<br>
<br>
And remember... our segs are custom built to fit you.<br>
<br>
Sean Richards<br>
<br>
RLQM.com<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
<br>
Ah, I see:<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>but the lobed hinges are cast as flat blanks and then folded, not properly cut from sheet. It is suspected that the fittings may be too thick, as well, and the shoulder guards may be too wide." <hr><br>
<br>
Finding bronze sheet can be dicey, and when you do find it, can be extremely expensive, and comes in a minimal choice of thicknesses.<br>
<br>
Bronze ingots, on the other hand, are very easy to acquire here in San Diego and are relatively inexpensive.<br>
<br>
We just cut a small chunk of bronze, melt it in my furnace, pour it out, and then hammer the resulting piece to the required thickiness, using a hammer, an anvil and elbow grease. From there, it's just another piece of sheet metal - except it's not quite as uniform as the factory-rolled stuff..<br>
<br>
What could be more proper than using metal in this fashion?<br>
<br>
Scythius <p>Scythius<br>
LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB<br>
<br>
- FIDELITAS - - VIRTUS - - MAGNANIMITAS - </p><i></i>
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
I apprectiate the info. Your explanations are helpful.<br>
<br>
The internet sites hosted by the various legions are very helpful but, as with other places on the internet, upgrading info is sometime slow (how ironic when the info is in regards to equipment). Some of the sites seem to have equipment evaluation that are a year or two out of date and seem to further confuse the issue.<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Not Use Stainless Steel For Segmentatas Hibernicus 57 10,158 02-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Magnus