Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet help
Hi

Another case of the unhelpful picture credit or source!

Does anyone know what monument the following sculpture of a helmet is from? The picture caption say's it is of the god Mars from around 100 A.D. but that is all.

Thanks for any help.

Graham.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
That should be the Mars from the cancelleria reliefs.

You can do a google image search and will find high-res pics of the reliefs.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
http://www.rome101.com/Topics/Cancelleria/
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Thanks chaps!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hi Graham,
I read some of your comments about ear guards being for psychological purposes rather than protective on another thread. I created this account just to have a way to reach out to you. Could you email me? I am writing a book that includes an allusion to the Roman's military helmet (I have absolutely no background in or real depth of knowledge about this topic) and I was wondering if you could expound on that thought for me. Does psychological mean for blocking out enemies verbal threats? Where can I find more information about these metal guards being added later, rather than present in an original design?

My email is [email protected]. I am more likely to see a reply there than on this website.

Thank you in advance for ANY help!