Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman cavalry on Hadrian\'s Wall
A funding bid has been submitted to bring a major exhibition on Roman cavalry to the museums along Hadrian's Wall in 2017.

'There would also be an associated events programme across the 11 museums. This would include re-enactment events, public talks and a community engagement and learning programme animated by a variety of creative artists - writers, poets, visual and performance artists.'

So there you go: your chance to see the Cantabricus enacted through the medium of mime, dance, and hooky matting ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Mike
That sounds just great and will of course help to maybe show off some of my horse chamfrons not only on the wall but also the similar one to the Vindolanda from Trimontium at Melrose in Scotland, and no dought there may also be riders who will show off the Straubing replicas in action.
Brian Stobbs
Sounds absolutely fabulous Smile May even have a decent saddle by then LOL!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Mike
That sounds just great and will of course help to maybe show off some of my horse chamfrons not only on the wall but also the similar one to the Vindolanda from Trimontium at Melrose in Scotland, and no dought there may also be riders who will show off the Straubing replicas in action.

Will have to start on Straubing equipment then.... LOL
Would love to join the UK forces with our riders.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjen.
I'm sure this is one of the guys you may well see at such events and he played a part in the Varus Battle film shown on TV a few times, the helmet is my own creation made up from a few very well known others.
[attachment=11471]_MG_2225-EditMedium.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Jurjen.
I'm sure this is one of the guys you may well see at such events and he played a part in the Varus Battle film shown on TV a few times, the helmet is my own creation made up from a few very well known others.
Brian Stobbs
Nice helmet, but the rest of equipment is'nt quite apropiate. Gladius instead spatha, lack of horsetack, modern bit of a model not quite roman, etc...
Cesar.
The owner of the helmet had to lend his helmet to a film actor for the Varas film that was made, so knowing how the hollywood types perform it would be better if they would consult with those who know more on these subjects.
Brian Stobbs
A bit more on the planned Hadrian's Wall cavalry exhibition (and re-enactment of the hippika gymnasia).

Mike Bishop

All going well if a few friends get together we might just see more of this and a few more other bits borrowed would help to show a bit of good action such as some of these.
[attachment=11551]comitatuscavalry151.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11552]cavh01.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11553]newstH.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11554]newstH1.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
Then again not forgetting our other friends from elsewhere.
Brian Stobbs
Then again not to forget our other friends from elsewhere.
[attachment=11555]clibinarius2.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
The Hadrian's Cavalry exhibition for Hadrian's Wall in 2017 has got its funding!

Mike Bishop

Dear Mike Bishop.

I have a cavalry group, 2-3 cavalrymen, and we are interested in take part in that event. Who's the person we have to contact?

Sure will be a impressive event, if the great groups of cavalry take part all together.

Thanks.
Quote:I have a cavalry group, 2-3 cavalrymen, and we are interested in take part in that event. Who's the person we have to contact?.
They've only just got the money so nothing is going to happen for a while, but somebody will be put in charge of organising the re-enactment side of things and I'll make sure whoever it is contacts all the groups involved in presenting Roman cavalry (because I think they're going to need as many as possible!).

Mike Bishop

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Borders folk may descend from Africans from Hadrian\'s Wall Robert Vermaat 30 9,253 10-26-2021, 07:26 AM
Last Post: John1
  Hadrian's Cavalry Turma! mcbishop 6 2,809 02-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Hadrian's Wall in 198AD JenniFletcher 2 1,140 09-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Last Post: JenniFletcher