Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
about swords, iron/steel and some physics
My apologies if this has been mentioned already, I''ve only skimmed through the topic and wanted to put in a first post as it were.

Many years ago I examined the Llyn Cerrig Bach swords at the Welsh Museum. There were also section samples of these swords (iirc 4 or 5) which showed alternating bands of phosphorus iron and ferrite, a true proto pattern-welding. I would not say that hardened edges can be called pattern-welded.

I also weighed the swords and could dig that information out if anyone wants it. A copy made of one of the swords (ca 1st C) was as usual far too heavy and badly balanced.
The quality of the iron from Llyn Cerrig Bach is very high. the slave chains were in fact used by a tractor to tow a vehicle out of the bog. The swords were found bent almost double but did not break under the strain. I'll try to find the data - will take a bit of time - but length, weight etc is always useful to know.
Pattern-welding doesn't come into its own untill the Anglo Saxons though, so the Llyn Cerrig Bach swords were certainly very early.

I knew Radimir Pleiner reasonably well (must read that book again) - the swords, he said, would allow some movement near the tip but not much.

For my thesis I handled a number of swords from the Museum of London as well, but no Roman sword, either Gladius or Spatha was available.
It was interesting though that the big Norman two-hander (about 1 kilo in weight) was very easy to handle due to the perfect balance. Same with the bronze swords. The Welsh Museum also has a Celtic iron sword which is leaf-shaped, probably very early.

Messages In This Thread
about swords, iron/steel and some physics - by Tigger - 04-02-2015, 11:53 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iron/Steel muscle cuirass Damianus Albus 3 1,517 10-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Virilis