Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sounds of mutiny
I have been re-reading Gore Vidal's novel 'Julian', which I would recommend to all interested in the Late Roman period, in it he describes the ominous sound of troops gathered for an adlocutio rolling their spear-shafts in the hollow of their shields, indicating their displeasure and mutinous intent. What I would like to know is whether this has any support in the primary sources? In Nelson's navy crews on the edge of mutiny would trundle cannonballs around the decks at night as a sign of their mutinous attitude, perhaps Vidal used this as his model.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Vidal was presumably drawing on Ammianus (as he so often did in this novel), who provides a few, perhaps slightly contradictory, descriptions of soldiers expressing approval or otherwise:

When greeting Julian as Caesar:

...no one held his peace, but all the soldiers with fearful din struck their shields against their knees (this is a sign of complete approval; for when, on the contrary, they smite their shields with their spears it is an indication of anger and resentment) (15.8.15)

When approaching battle:

[the soldiers] gnashed and ground their teeth and showed their eagerness for battle by striking their spears and shields together (16.12.13)

When acclaiming Julian (although Amm. has previously claimed that clashing spears and shields was a sign of 'resentment'!):

...rising to their feet and clashing their spears against their shields with mighty din, almost with one voice they acclaimed the emperor's words and plans.
(20.5.8)

When raising Julian to emperor:

Eager for revolution, with one accord they mingled fear-inspiring shouts with the violent clash of shields, calling him a great and exalted leader and (as they knew from experience) a fortunate victor over nations and kings (21.5.9)

When disapproving of Valentinian's plans:

...a threatening murmur arose, as the centuries and maniples made a loud noise and all the common maniples clashed their shields and all the common soldiers persistently urged that a second emperor should at once be named (26.2.1)

None of these exactly match the description in the novel of the rolling spears - it does sound a bit similar to the infamous 'shot rolling' in the Navy. Perhaps there's something in another source (Tacitus?) about it...
Nathan Ross
My paper, 'The Clashing of Weapons and Silent Advances in Roman Battles', is concerned with the clashing of swords, pila and spears against shields in battle, but it also contains some examples of the clashing of weapons to express disapproval, anger and grief.
It looks like Vidal was basing his usage on knowledge of Ammianus, but probably introducing an element from naval 'shot-rolling' to differentiate expressions of disapproval from those of approval, which are rather confused in the primary source.

Fast clapping is now used to indicate approval, whilst the slow clap is used in derision. It could be that Roman troops used something similar, modifying the rapidity of striking their shields to express different attitudes.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Perhaps it's not the act of clashing shield and spear specifically to express disapproval, but merely making noise to express any emotion either good or bad; the gist of the action may be read in the buzz of the troops in the same way an athlete can tell when the crowd is not amused.
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.
Quote:My paper, 'The Clashing of Weapons and Silent Advances in Roman Battles', is concerned with the clashing of swords, pila and spears against shields in battle, but it also contains some examples of the clashing of weapons to express disapproval, anger and grief.

The British army in the Napoleonic Wars used silence and noise very effectively. The French typically advanced with much shouting and hat waving, the British would await in silence, reserving their fire until very short range. After one or two volleys the British soldiers would be ordered to give three loud cheers and then charge with the bayonet. The use of silence and noise, carefully controlled, has always had a great psychological effect in combat.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Quote:[..]all the soldiers with fearful din struck their shields against their knees [..]
[..][the soldiers] gnashed and ground their teeth and showed their eagerness for battle by striking their spears and shields together [..]

bashing your knees with your shield somehow seems a bit painful (provided Ammianus does not mean the leg defences instead). Gnashing/grinding your teeth makes that much of a noise? I never tried it but somehow i doubt it.. yet Ammianus was not a stanger to the military.
I think that he is quoting other sources from time to time. This might also account for some discrepancies.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
The gnashing and grinding is very reminiscent of Medieval Icelandic descriptions of berserkers winding themselves up to a frenzy.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Quote:bashing your knees with your shield somehow seems a bit painful (provided Ammianus does not mean the leg defences instead).

Yes it does! I wondered if the soldiers were kicking the back of their shields (maybe with their knees?) Then again, while Ammianus served with the army, he was a protector domesticus and so may not have spent any time in the ranks, or cared to work out precisely what the soldiery were doing with their shields... Wink

Quote:Gnashing/grinding your teeth makes that much of a noise?

I've wondered this before. One for the 'experimental archaeology' inclined reenactors, perhaps? Next time at Marle - a mass teeth-grind n gnash! :-)
Nathan Ross