Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sirmium - latest news
Although this info is not directly connected to roman army it has some connections to roman military aspects. Also these finds, that I will inform You about, are rather exclusive for roman archaeology.
In brief, in the last few years we were excavating in the very center of ancient Sirmium, precisely in the area between Imperial palace and hippodrome. Site is very complex due to its very rich stratigraphy with very pronounced building phases in the late roman and post medieval period. Tetrarchic phase (very beginning) of the IV century, is rather well preserved and raises numerous questions regarding moment of establishing imperial complex in the southern part of the city. What is rather exclusive are dozens of fragments of more than two imperial porphyry statues that were found in the last few years. We have found most of them in the destruction layer of structure which could be some sacral building. I am thinking that it could be some kind of mausoleum or temple, but at the present, this is all that I can say about it. Destruction happened somewhere in the mid IV century. Both phases early and mid IV century are well dated through coins and other finds. This site also produced results from the end of the IV beginning of the V century well defined architecture, second half of the V and VI century. Wooden huts, and reused material buildings from these two periods.
Military aspect of the whole thing belongs mostly to legionary brick stamp finds, but these were found in the different destruction layers so not directly connected to any precise architecture. In my oppinion they belong to imperial structures of the late antiquity, and this is were my point is, generally not so developed topic, legionary involvment in imperial building. In this case mostly legio VII Claudia, legio IIII Flavia, and Legio VI Herculia were mentioned. just one brick stamp of Legio II (Adiutrix?)But this is not the onliest site that I am working on, ie. which has this connection of imperial buildings
and legionary building involvment. Also Felix Romuliana (Gamzigrad - Galerius villa) has numerous finds of V Macedonica legion, brick stamps. Just few of legio IIII Flavia finds so far.
So for the future one of the topics for legionary studies, what kind of relationship existed between imperial building program and late roman legions?
Let's go to the beginning, in these two links You will be able to see in some way, what kind of imperial sculptures I was telling You about. At least some photos and some video, since that the text is not in English.
http://www.politika.rs/rubrike/Kultura/G...mu.lt.html
http://www.novosti.rs/vesti/srbija.73.ht...i-u-kamenu
http://www.rts.rs/page/stories/sr/story/...ijuma.html
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Thank you very much indeed for posting this and the links.

Although Google translate is just about coping, may I ask if you know whether the iron buckets (for want of a better term...kettle, perhaps?) are from these excavations? They are on the shelf behind the lady holding the fragments of statue.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
No. They belong to large donation of material given to the museum of Srem by the diving club. Taken from Sava river.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Thank you
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latest Vindolanda news richsc 3 1,896 01-08-2002, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Anonymous