Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Pugio
Hey there So I'm trying to Reconstruct a roman Pugio from the late 1st to early 2nd century and I just wanted to get some input on a few things and maybe some advice. The first thing I'm wondering is how thick of metal I should start with to make a blade? How realistic is it to use a wooden handle for a pugio like the one in the picture below?
[attachment=11336]212124018RL043991353_2014-12-16.jpg[/attachment]

And did all Pugios have the midrib down the center? Or were some just flat blades?
Im rather new to the Roman reconstruction so Any and all help, input, advice is welcome with great enthusiasm.
thanks for the help
Roger L. Crisp
Cogito Ergo Sum
Quintus Equitius Crispin
Hi "Crispin,

Welcome to the forum. First thing you want to do is read the rules, one of which is to post your real name in your signature. Second thing you want to do is check out the Search function on this forum. You will be amazed at the amount of information (for instance on correct pugiones) that is already available. You may also want to check out the site http://www.larp.com/legioxx/ which has the legionair's handbook with tons of info.

To answer your question: no, that piece of iron is not fit for Roman re-enacting.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
See Saliola,M & Casprini, F. 2012. Pugio - Gladius Brevis Est: History and Technology of the Roman Battle Dagger.
BAR International Series 2404. ISBN 978 1 4073 0999 6.
Covers 'The Weapon' ' Technology and Accessories' ' Historical Sources'.
Crispin,

That pugio is from the company windlass steelcrafts, who has a history of making unacceptable pieces of equipment. It would be good to avoid all their products because they are just wastes of money.
Regards, Jason