Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anybody made their own replica of dura europa?
I was wondering if anybody here or someone you know has made their own replica of the dura europa shield? Normally I found that shield to be to busy and decorative but upon really looking at it, it's quite beautiful and refined.The deepeeka one puts off a totally different vibe. its a copy but portrays a different tone not one of an instrument of war and the deepeeka one is rather peaceful.
Jeffrey Hildebrandt of Royal Oak Armory is making me a high accuracy Dura shield as well as a Fayum.

I hope the Dura is ready by Rome's Birthday as he's starting to get busy due to his work being excellent.

http://www.royaloakarmoury.com/
Joe Balmos
There are actually more shield finds from Dura Europos, so it is interesting to start noting which shield you mean, although I understand we're talking about the rectangular scutum.

As for the oval shields, Christian Koepfer did present his wonderfull repro on this board some time ago.
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/33-hasta-pu...ation.html

Furthermore, the people of the http://www.populares-vindelicenses.de/pages/intro.php did some great paintings, as well as dr. Markus Junkelmann for his cavalry projekt (see Reiter wie Statuen aus Ertz)
ALA I BATAVORUM
That's correct, we should be more specific.
Joe Balmos
I made this year the scutum from Dura Europos. It is made like the orginal, Only the stork is not in the orginal painting.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very Nice.
Joe Balmos
It does look very nice. Good work!
Regards, Jason
Quote:I made this year the scutum from Dura Europos. It is made like the orginal, Only the stork is not in the orginal painting.

wow that's nice, It's good to see more realistic colors closer to the original. I'm tempted to try and make my own dura europas but probably will push my painting skills to the max. I wanna make either a dura europas or caerleon shield with a deepeeka decorative square boss.
Have you tried engraving and forming your own shield boss before? Making it yourself is much more fun than buying a thin flimsy boss. Also, the boss is not correct for a Dura type Scutum, you should instead buy or make a brass boss. The shield boss should be similar to the one in the picture of the very nice reconstruction above. The Deepeeka, though the painting is more peaceful, has a much better boss.
Regards, Jason
Well i wouldn't be putting the square decorative boss on the dura remake I'd put it on a caerleon if I made one. yah making my own doesn't seem that crazy to me but Ive never done it before i dont have those tools an time. Im not sure what doing such a thing entails either.
Banging out your own shield boss is actually quite easy, and all you need is a wooden forming block or an metal dome shaped anvil ( depends on which way you pound it ) and a ball peen hammer. Simple as that!
Regards, Jason
Point one about that decorative boss - It is not correct!!! Wrong metal!!! Do you want something that is not authentic? Have someone make you a better copy of brass instead if you want that type bad...
Regards, Jason
Thank you very much, for the praise.
I have bought also my boss, but I have tinned an decorated it myself.

The colour is pigment colour on rawhide.
Quote:Banging out your own shield boss is actually quite easy, and all you need is a wooden forming block or an metal dome shaped anvil ( depends on which way you pound it ) and a ball peen hammer. Simple as that!

Hm, have you actually made a shield boss yourself?
Yes I have made my own shield boss, twice actually. I made one for a Caetra Iberian shield to complete my Iberian kit. The other I keep for when I need it.
Regards, Jason