Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A saddle brooch (or a brooch saddle)
This is rather nice. It's a brooch in the shape of a Celto-Roman saddle. There is a rather clever little visual pun here, in that the same word (sagum) means cloak and saddle blanket. Geddit? ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Mike.
That looks to be a very intersting reproduction piece who made that one. ?
Brian Stobbs
looks like an original for me
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
I think it may be original too. Fascinating decoration on the saddle horns.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I'm not familiar with wood and how it preserves, but I want to say based on the pattern of metal corrosion that the pin is certainly a reproduction
What wood? It's copper alloy. It's an original (and unicum) piece dated in II-III century. It's interesting, for me, that the shape is very similar to a modern english saddle. The form of the horns and its size it's curious, too, being smaller than habitual art depictions or modern reconstruccions.
I do think that Evan has raised a very interesting point and where since my last post I have been given that this brooch is genuine, I still would make a comment that it does indeed look too good to be true.
What I would like is for the details to be put into English from the German so that we can be given not only its provenance but of course just how it was found and more importantly just how was it cleaned.
I have to say this from the fact that I do have a friend who is very good indeed at lost wax casting and can also create such fantastic patina it would fool most experts,
If in fact it is a genuine piece it can never ever have been used at all for there is no wear what so ever on any part of it the pin in particular.
Brian Stobbs
It could have been used as a votive object from new. It is an obvious item to be deposited to ensure a safe journey, or as a thank-offering for a safe journey completed.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
It would be so good to see views of this Skeuomorphic brooch from a few more different angles.
Brian Stobbs
My Translation (of the relevant part) Not much info.

Römische Sattel-Fibel Roman saddle brooch

2. – frühes 3. Jhdt. n. Chr. / Römische Donauprovinzen 2nd to early 3rd century / Roman Donau area
Miniatur eines Hörnchensattels der Kavallerie Rückseite mit Anstecknadel
Model of a horned saddle of the cavalry. Backside with pin

The following part is about fibula in general, not about this piece.

25,20 g / Länge 32,5 mm
ALA I BATAVORUM
The reason I have mentioned other views of this brooch is indeed from the point of view of its spring where I would like to know if in fact it is broken where the cord meets the other half of its bilateral coil for there looks to be a small part of the spring coil missing.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4 pommel saddle find in Pompeii richsc 4 872 12-28-2018, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Roman saddle & Stele of Silius richsc 16 3,734 06-01-2015, 03:10 AM
Last Post: richsc
  (Another) Roman Saddle Question Vindex 30 4,893 07-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Vindex