Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bruttian Buckler
I was digging through some old threads when I saw this:

drsrob wrote:
Festus, 238 wrote:

Parmulis pugnare milites soliti sunt. Quarum usum sustulit C. Marius, datis in vicem earum Bruttianis

"Soldiers used to fight with small bucklers. The use of which C. Marius has abolished, with Bruttians given in their place"

Festus, 26 wrote:

Bruttianae parmae dicebantur scuta quibus Bruttiani sunt usi.

"Bruttian bucklers were the shields called that the Bruttians used to use."

Apparently Marius replaced at some point in time the small bucklers by Bruttian bucklers, which were probably larger. In the 2nd century BC bucklers (parmae) were used by cavalry and velites. Most likely this text refers to the shield of the velites as that of the cavalry was originally larger (ref. Livy, quoted from Polybius)) Though not necessarily connected with the change from velites to antesignani (if there ever was such a change) it does testify to an effort to give light troops better protection.

I have to add however that I have once discussed this matter extensively with Sander van Dorst (were has he gone?) who did not quite see eye to eye with me on this. He was of the opinion that the antesignani were always a special corps, part of the front line and existing first next to the velites

Does anyone know more about this subject? What is a Bruttian parma? Any thoughts?
I'm shooting from the him here, but I recall reading somewhere that early Roman Parma were made with a frame and leather construction. Perhaps this signifies the switch to solid wood or wood plank parma.
I thought something similar. Considering the velites are known to be the poorest of the classes, it wouldn't surprise me if they had a cheap shield too. But I thought maybe the Bruttian parma might be a flat thureos shield, of standard size, maybe slightly smaller. By the time of Marius, the flat thureos was the dominant shield type of Europe and the Mediterranean, it would have been easy to reissue the men with those types.
I think that is possible as well. Later Principate era auxiliary shields are not really much more than a modified flat thureos. I would not be surprised if the ancestor of the clipeus was more of a theuros type.
I reread Polybius' description of the velite and he specifically mentions that the parma they used (30 years prior to Marius' possible reforms) were of sufficient strength and size:

"The shield is strongly made and sufficiently large to afford protection, being circular and measuring •three feet in diameter."
Pol Hist 6, 22

If the velites carried the same parma as the cavalry in shape and construction, then it probably means they were strongly made, as the cavalry parma in archaeological remains shows a center barley corn boss and spine. Then again, the Equites were rich and could afford well made armor, while the velites are known to have been the poorest of soldiers.

Does any artwork or descriptions of Bruttian warriors exist that would show their arms?