Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belt plate from Colchester
The drawing in the attached document comes from The Pre-Flavian Military Belt: the Evidence from Britain by Francis Grew and Nick Griffiths. Could someone help me to get a photo of this belt plate?

If helpful, the mentioned article gives the following information about the belt plate:
Find spot: Colchester
Archeological context: Sheepen
Publication; register no.: Hawkes and Hull (1947), 339 and pl. 102.17

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(aka Niels)
Hawkes and Hull shows a similar drawing and mentions "tinned and with niello ornament" that's about it....
unfortunately I don't have the complete book only the section dealing with the military small finds, pg 335-40 and plates XCIX-C,CII-CIII drawings and CI,CIV photos of patera/saddle components (described as bronze armour) and weapons.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thank you! Good to know that the other publication does not provide extra images.
It seems to be a typical mid first century tinned belt plate inlaid with niƫllo and with very delicate decoration. To be able to see this decoration better, I am searching for photo`s. In the attachment a picture is shown to give an idea what I am looking for. Unfortunately, the photo is a bit out of focus what makes it difficult to see the details of the decoration and therefore I need a better one. I hope someone can help me :-).

(aka Niels)
.Dear Colleagues, you could offer a resource where there is complete information about Roman belt plate 1-2 century AD
Quote:.Dear Colleagues, you could offer a resource where there is complete information about Roman belt plate 1-2 century AD
I think I don`t fully understand you.

Does anyone know which museum this belt plate has in its collection? Hopefully I can send that museum a photo request.
(aka Niels)
Quote:Does anyone know which museum this belt plate has in its collection? Hopefully I can send that museum a photo request.

I would think that would be in Colchester Castle Museum......
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thank you :grin:! If no one has a good photo of that plate, I will send a photo request to that museum Confusedmile:.
(aka Niels)
Hello. At roma-victrix.com there are some similar plates from another sites:

http://www.roma-victrix.com/armamentariu...aeI41b.jpg
http://www.roma-victrix.com/armamentariu...aeI17b.jpg
http://www.roma-victrix.com/armamentariu...aeI16b.jpg
http://www.roma-victrix.com/armamentariu...aeI15b.jpg

In some of them you can see the way it's made. Hope it helps!
Yes, I`ve seen those belt plates earlier. I need photo`s with such quality of the particular plate mentioned in the opening post to see the details of the decoration well enough.
(aka Niels)
thank you very much
I believe that Matt Amt has made a plate based on a different find that is very very similar and he has it posted on the Legio XX website under " Belt ". Possibly that this belt plate and the Colchester are part of a series of plates that are similar :-?
Regards, Jason
At least five plates from Colchester have niello inlay including a complete buckle and one other hinge plate in H&H... design varies... but the separate hinge plate illustrated in Hawkes & Hull has similar features in the design by no means a copy but similar...
Ivor

The article (the pre-Flavian military belt : the evidence from Britain) where I got the drawing in the first attached document from states that there are three levels of quality: above average, average and below average. According to the article, the belt plate from Colchester belongs to the above average group because of its intricate detail. The other plate in the second attached document that is made by Matt Amt differs from the Colchester example. The design of the decoration and the quality are both not the same. The "above average" quality of the belt plate from Colchester is what it makes interesting for me.

(aka Niels)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Colchester belt plate Martialis_NL 10 626 11-19-2021, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Can Anyone Identify This Bronze Belt Plate? Creon01 7 2,107 02-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Decebalus
  Colchester belt plates Doc 2 1,546 05-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Latinitas