Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marathon 2015
Some of us have been working for two years to make sure there's another event at Marathon in Greece, and as of today I can say with confidence that it is ON. The event will begin on October 27th 2015, a Tuesday,with pack in and set up, and Wednesday, the 28th, will be nothing but practice and skills training and working with a Greek interpreter staff. Thursday, the 29th will feature an opening ceremony in the Marathon Stadium where we will be a sort of Panathenaic parade (like the frieze but with fewer horses) and then we'll receive school groups the rest of Thursday and all day Friday. Saturday and Sunday our camps will be open tot he public, and we'll put on demonstrations of everything from period cooking to military tactics. The organizer want to make sure this is not a 'war show' and I'd strongly recommend that every group come with a demonstration of civilian life as well as a military impressions. Interested individuals or groups need to contact me or Giannis Kadoglou.

Anyone who was there last time will tell you that it is magical to recreate Ancient Greece IN GREECE. Don't miss this opportunity!

The Municipality of Marathon would like to have events in 2017 and 2019 as well, to allow us to train and practice for Thermopylae in 2020 and Plataea in 2021.

[Image: 4_12_03_13_12_21_19.jpeg]
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
What will the weather be like at that time of year and what will be equipment standards? Is there an approved form of tent for this?

Edward
Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

Hello!
As Kineas said Marathon is definitely on!
Both Christian and I have just returned from a trip at Marathon among other places, and the event will be roughly this time of the year, if a little earlier.
The weather is definitely bearable, between 15-20 degrees. It might rain, so everybody should be prepared for that, and most of us plan to have a period camp (not obligatory).
Interested attendees should contact me regarding equipment standards, since I am Aphictyonia's authenticity officer (the organizer League of ancient reenactment groups)
It is advisable that individual participants try to join one of the participating groups, since this would make it easier to reach standards, have insurance, and really, most groups are a great help.
Whilst there is some idea what greek tents might have looked like, any type of tend with organic materials will be accepted in our period camp. Most probably there will be a separate camp not very far away, for modern campers, and then again some people might opt to stay in one of the many hotels in the region.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
A photo from Ancient Plataea, during Christian Cameron's Pen and Sword tour of ancient battlefields, last week.
As you can see, with two chitons, or even one, we had no problem to demonstrate for a couple of hours, and it was almost raining!

[attachment=11137]10429242_10152935500387518_7748004483522226953_n.jpg[/attachment]
Khairete
Giannis

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Giannis K. Hoplite
Worth noting that we don't only want Greeks, we would actually need more Persians, Skythians, Thracians etc.
[attachment=11138]10530845_779887982082643_4938924492587202512_n.jpg[/attachment]

Giannis K. Hoplite
I was quite comfortable in just a chiton and thorakes. It will be windy at Schinias beach if that is where we camp, but November in Attika is just not like November in Canada... Smile
I am so psyched.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Are there any american groups planning on attending?
Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

There's Christian's own group, Taxeis Plataia. I think it's based in Toronto? but has a lot of American members.

I'm gonna be flying out from Philly on my own again since XMFM has failed to recruit anyone.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Our group, the Plataeans, is going. we're US and Canadian and have about 40 members, evenly divided between hoplite and non-hoplite impressions... I expect we'll have almost as many Scythians as Greeks, and a pretty good civilian impression too. Happy to have other US and Canadian groups, or to accept folks to come with us for this one event.
fine aspis!
Lovchikov Andrey. "ANABASIS" reanactment society, Saint-Petersburg, Russia.
http://anabasisspb.livejournal.com/
http://vk.com/anabasis
https://www.facebook.com/Anabasis-695452...ef=tn_tnmn
We have received the official letter from the Municipality of Marathon in which they express their willingness to work with reenactors and accomodate our needs. It is addressed to Amphictyonia's Hegemon, Christian Cameron.

Quote: Dear Mr. Cameron,
Thank you for taking the time to visit with us and discuss the vast and
varied possibilities of your team's many synergies with the Municipality of
Marathon in the fields of immersive events in this historic and important
region.
Our Demos would be happy to welcome you and your international team to
Marathon. We intend to provide you with any legal means and assistance in order for
you and your team to best organize and share the immersive historical
experience of "re-enactment" of ancient Greek daily life in the original
Marathon battlefield surroundings.
Being aware of the hinderances and obstacles you faced on your first attempt
to visit Marathon, we would like to state our intent to you and all who are
willing to travel with you to Greece and partake of this immersive
experience, that the Municipality and people of Marathon will endorse,
support, assist and welcome you in an effort to establish a new institution
as a repetitive event.
To this end, we propose to jointly organize a wide range of cultural,
athletic and educational events aimed to acquaint all interested visitors
and residents with life in ancient Marathon.
As discussed and tentatively agreed, we suggest that the optimal time frame
for such events is end October-beginning of November 2015.
During that time we will commonly organize a series of specific events that
will depict and re-enact the daily life of the Athenian and Plateaen warriors
as well as the local people of the time around the historical battle of
Marathon of 490BC such as their training, their camp and preparation,
cooking, living quarters etc.
The Municipality of Marathon will do its best to assure the following:
The legal permits to set up camp in a natural environment resembling and/or
close to the original battlefield.
The legal permits or permissions to establish camp, fire and firewood for
heating and cooking
The provision of ample supplies of potable water
The provision of ample food and wine
The adequate and appropriate personal hygiene equipment
Adequate horse feed
The security and safety of the equipment and campground as well as fire
prevention team.
During the next few days we would like to jointly and gradually work-out a
detailed plan and timeframe for all the events that can take place during
your eagerly anticipated stay in our Municipality.
We would again like to extend our true honor and pleasure of hosting you and
your team and together creating an international institution of immersion
and re-enactmnent.

So on we go to Marathon 2015!
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
This map shows the plain of Marathon, and within it our CAMP SITE, the trophy of the battle raised by the Athenians, the tomb of the 192 Athenians who fell in battle, the modern village of Marathon and the route towards Athens, which crosses the plain and goes through the lower end of the photo.
[attachment=12412]marathonmap1.jpg[/attachment]

Giannis K. Hoplite
A photo with Mike Brenan at Marathon. 

Giannis K. Hoplite