Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letnitza treasure horseman
Hello people! I was fascinated today by this awesome representation of an armoured horseman from Letnitza treasure:
http://www.omda.bg/public/engl/history/l...easure.htm

[Image: letnitsa_phalera_silver_gilt_zpsbb9952ed.jpg]

It is from Bulgaria, supposedly mid 4th century BC, so basically should be Thracian. But what do you guys think this horseman is wearing? Is that mail? Scale? Mail with scale cuirass? I would guess mail because of hand and leg coverage, probably with scale cuirass, but isn't that a bit early for mail? If it is mail, it might suggest Celtic influence, if it is scale, it might be eastern, Sarmatian influence... Or Thracians had far more complex armour making skills than I knew... Anyway, I would like to hear your opinions. Smile
In my opinion he is wearing just a scale cuirass with slits in the skirt to make riding more comfortable.
The only other armour he is wearing are greaves like the examples from Aghigiol.
The texture on his arms, tigh and foot might just represent a pattern on his clothing and shoes or is perhaps only done this way to make it stand out more against the smooth finish of the horse and ground.
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Perhaps the clothing is a patterned tunic and trousers as is shown in this Greek depiction of a Scythian.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Could be anything. Impossible to tell from the depiction.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.