Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Signum and Signifier
Hi :-D

Does anybody happen to know how much the Roman Signum Standard was worth back in Roman times?
How much did it cost to make it?
Who Paid?
Thanks 8-)
Quote:Does anybody happen to know how much the Roman Signum Standard was worth back in Roman times?
Probably priceless, in most senses of the word.

Quote:How much did it cost to make it?
Nothing. It was probably made by the army unit to whom it belonged, using labour they themselves provided and materials they acquired, again through that labour force. The manpower of the Roman army was an extremely powerful and multi-talented resource that should never be underestimated

Quote:Who Paid?
The army unit to whom it belonged (see above)

Not your fault, but you're viewing the problem from a modern perspective. There certainly were standard commercial transactions carried out by the army (I particularly like the unit at Vindolanda buying apples - good ones!) but your questions fall into the same category as 'How much did Hadrian's Wall cost to build?' where the answer is, again, 'Nothing' and for the same reason, insofar as the only money changing hands is the state paying its soldiery :-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I'd also add that "worth" implies a resale value. I doubt anyone could buy a signum no matter how much they wanted it, but I'm sure that soldiers would die to defend it. So what does that make it worth?
I would dare to say that there is a similar phenomenon with modern armies and their reverence for things like Unit and National Colors / Flags and Standards. Someone(s) has to make those items, starting from raw materials. A flag is just fabric and paint / color dye, but when it is presented to and adopted into that unit, it acquires a presence and significance that is placed on it. (in a similar if not identical way that the Signa was said to embody the Genius / Spirit of the Century, as the Aquila would embody the spirit of the entire Legion. Its damage or loss (and perhaps lack of reverence or respect inasmuch as the person tasked with carrying it) would be tremendously insulting and damaging)

Although, with the nationalistic movements and flag etiquette laws introduced after WW1, the "value" of things like flags seems to have changed a bit. The attitudes and reverences to standards and devices, and really any object with sentimental or significant importance, is a human thing.

As for the Late Republic period, when armies are being formed by a few individuals, i.e. Caesar, I don't know, does he mention how much he spent on supplying his Legions with standards?
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signum Standard and Signifier TomArchie 0 746 11-15-2014, 01:30 AM
Last Post: TomArchie
  Signifier and Optio 1st Century BC RKotern 41 9,902 08-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Lunico
  Signifier Headresses Anonymous 2 1,558 09-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Anonymous