Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tunic wool
One thing struck me about nearly all, if not all, ancient fabrics discovered: their consistent high quality. A long time ago someone wrote that it wasn't only the matter of weaving but also that wool was kept in longer strands than today when spun.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
At Vindolanda, 62% of the wool found was diamond twill- and of these "two thirds ...were medium weight with a count of about 14 closer-set threads and 12 weft-threads per cm". At least 1/5th had been dyed, and 5 of diamond twills were red.<br>
<br>
Re the wool description- does anyone know what this means?<br>
<br>
Thanks!<br>
<br>
Paulus <p></p><i></i>
>At Vindolanda, 62% of the wool found was diamond twill- and of these "two thirds ...were medium weight with a count of about 14 closer-set threads and 12 weft-threads per cm". At least 1/5th had been dyed, and 5 of diamond twills were red.<br>
<br>
>Re the wool description- does anyone know what this means?<br>
<br>
Ave Paulus!<br>
<br>
Those numbers, 14 wrap and 12 weft refer to the number of threads per cm. In the oreintation of the grain of the fabric, the warp threads run the length of the piece of cloth and the weft threads run from selvedge to selvedge. In diamond twill the cloth has an all-over diamond shaped pattern woven into it, like the chevron shapes of a herringbone twill but diamonds instead.<br>
<br>
I believe that thread count would yield a cloth that has a medium sized weave, not excessively fine, but not very coarse either.<br>
<br>
I have a friend who's an early textiles wonk. If you'd like me to have her take a stab at the description I'd be glad to.<br>
<br>
I hope this is a help,<br>
<br>
Gaius Septimus Lucianus<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
"I have a friend who's an early textiles wonk. If you'd like me to have her take a stab at the description I'd be glad to."<br>
This is hugely helpful- yes please!!<br>
<br>
Paulus<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
This might all be very contentious stuff, but I've really enjoyed reading through the thread. I'll be looking into some of these sources myself. As a mid 3rdC (and 4th C) re-enactor I'm sort of immune from any tunic colour debate - but it's fascinating stuff nonetheless!!! <p></p><i></i>
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
>>"I have a friend who's an early textiles wonk. If you'd like me to have her take a stab at the description I'd be glad to."<br>
>This is hugely helpful- yes please!!<br>
<br>
I'll drop her a note. Sorry not to get back to you sooner but I logged off of RAT for a bit and have only just checked back.<br>
<br>
Gaius Septimus Lucianus <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wool type for tunic mjsanta83 5 2,305 09-12-2016, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Marcus Cassius LegioXIV
  Tunic Wool and Dye? US Sources. Anonymous 14 3,547 04-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus