Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B&C3
We swore we would never do it again after B&C1 ... we vowed that B&C2 would be an end to it, the last time we ever had to go through all of that hell yet again ... but now we have decided that there will indeed be a B&C3.

When? B&C2 (2006) came out 13 years after B&C1 (1993) so that seems like an appropriate interval.

What will be in it? Wonderful things ... and more than ever before (I'll give you a hint: the title will have to change slightly) :-)

If you want to bounce ideas around here of what you would like to see in it, then we may read them, if only to laugh derisively, but be aware that any call for photographs of every artefact has to have hard cash attached, in a plain brown envelope, and in used notes ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
The dominate Big Grin ! I think Christian Miks has provided useful info about roman swords to use in every other period too. Also some interesting finds on late roman helmets since the B & C 2?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
How about expanding into the Justinianic period?
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
Ok...I'll ask as it isn't clear to me what exactly we are on about here ( and by the lack of response, I think a few others are wondering too).

Are we referring to the Bishop and Coulston equipment book here?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Ok...I'll ask as it isn't clear to me what exactly we are on about here ( and by the lack of response, I think a few others are wondering too).

Are we referring to the Bishop and Coulston equipment book here?
Well I was. I can't answer for anybody else!

Mike Bishop

Now I only feel half stupid.
Kevin
Kevin
Quote:Now I only feel half stupid.
Cheer up, that's 50% less stupid than me so you're doing well!

Anyway, I'll take the resounding silence as carte blanche to do pretty much anything we please in the next edition, so expect Spitfires, random doodles, and subliminal rude limericks woven into the initial letters of the paragraphs ;-)

Mike Bishop

Hi Mike

In the past the chapters have been divided into period. Could it also be possible to sub-divide the chapters into regions too? I myself would like to know how in the various regions soldiers were equipped. How differently, if at all would a legionary look in Germany or Syria for example at the same period?

Presumably this will be down to study as well as survival of archaeological finds. However I imagine re-enactors as well as illustrators probably equip soldiers with all manner of gear from across the empire, which although from the right period is possibly presenting a false impression?

It would also be nice to see some very early Roman equipment too.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
So lack of replies...
Mike Bishop wrote....
Anyway, I'll take the resounding silence as carte blanche to do pretty much anything we please in the next edition, so expect Spitfires, random doodles, and subliminal rude limericks woven into the initial letters of the paragraphs.
Had to ask Moi what it was about as per her comment here. I'm out of my league here gentlemen....but I thank you for introducing me to another source of info.
Kevin
Kevin
Maybe it's just me, but based on prior mentions and having purchased the book, had deduced that B&C was in reference to the work. :whistle:

If it makes anyone feel better, when I posted about the Handbook to Roman Legionary Fortresses back in 2011, the following responses drew a slight chuckle:

Quote:M.C. Bishop sounds like he should be a rapper

Quote:A rapper from Chirnside? He must be the only one…

Instead of ending with the Justinianic, if there's room, how about covering the Maurikian period ending with Heraclius? It's a transitional period that's hardly covered between the Late Antique and Middle Medieval Roman eras.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
Quote:In the past the chapters have been divided into period. Could it also be possible to sub-divide the chapters into regions too? I myself would like to know how in the various regions soldiers were equipped. How differently, if at all would a legionary look in Germany or Syria for example at the same period?
That would require a major rewrite and possibly a lot more drawing but we'll certainly consider it.

Quote:It would also be nice to see some very early Roman equipment too.
That's definitely on the cards.

Mike Bishop

Quote:Instead of ending with the Justinianic, if there's room, how about covering the Maurikian period ending with Heraclius? It's a transitional period that's hardly covered between the Late Antique and Middle Medieval Roman eras.
The problem with leaking over beyond The Fall of Rome™ into the Byzzies is that the only natural terminal point is the Fall of Constantinople and that then makes the book far too long and unwieldy. I would have thought it far better to have a separate Byzantine Military Equipment where due emphasis can be given to all the particular source problems associated with that particular millennium-long can of worms.

Nevertheless, we'll consider it. :-)

Mike Bishop

well Mike probably you get not too much feedback because everybody thinks the book is perfect Smile

I for me would like more pics of artifacts
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
In common with most other people, bigger seems better to me, so extending to Justinian or Heraclius would be good, but not if it comes at the cost of "Byzantine Military Equipment" (sometime after 2027 maybe?!) Also, the 1st edition binding was rather superior to that of the 2nd, I thought - so I personally would pay more for a sturdy BT Batsford-style hardback rather than floppy paperback.

In response to the suggestions of more "sectionalisation", it sounds like the punters might welcome a parallel Osprey mini-series in the Men-at-Arms or, more likely, the Elite series. Although it would potentially represent some duplication, there is a precedent with the "Roman Military Dress" MAA mini-series from a few years ago, which came out in parallel with (well, actually a few years earlier than) a longer volume from Tempus/Amberley. The Osprey fix would meet demand for more pictures, and would sell to customers who might never have heard of Oxbow (assuming the plan is to go with them for 3rd Edn). I don't know the relative sales figures for Osprey versus the more academic publishers, but Osprey does seem to have pretty effective market penetration in the US, although their lead customer there is probably a WWII fan rather than ancient world..
Quote:In common with most other people, bigger seems better to me, so extending to Justinian or Heraclius would be good, but not if it comes at the cost of "Byzantine Military Equipment" (sometime after 2027 maybe?!) Also, the 1st edition binding was rather superior to that of the 2nd, I thought - so I personally would pay more for a sturdy BT Batsford-style hardback rather than floppy paperback..
Well the first impression of the 2nd edition had sewn signatures and a split between case bound and paperback, so it may be that the second impression of last year was not so good. They never sent me one so I can't comment.

Quote:In response to the suggestions of more "sectionalisation", it sounds like the punters might welcome a parallel Osprey mini-series in the Men-at-Arms or, more likely, the Elite series. Although it would potentially represent some duplication, there is a precedent with the "Roman Military Dress" MAA mini-series from a few years ago, which came out in parallel with (well, actually a few years earlier than) a longer volume from Tempus/Amberley. The Osprey fix would meet demand for more pictures, and would sell to customers who might never have heard of Oxbow (assuming the plan is to go with them for 3rd Edn). I don't know the relative sales figures for Osprey versus the more academic publishers, but Osprey does seem to have pretty effective market penetration in the US, although their lead customer there is probably a WWII fan rather than ancient world..
No decision has been made on publisher and we may well go down the road of crowd-funding and offering case bound, paperback, and ebook options ourselves, with all sorts of other goodies. I wouldn't touch Osprey with a high-voltage phase-shifting barge pole, for from where I'm sitting, they look awfully like the Borg of the publishing world. Anything smaller would again be produced by us rather than anybody else; the key lies in distribution, not big publisher names. Most of my publishers have been absolutely useless at getting stuff into indie bookshops (or even chains) and particularly Hadrian's Wall outlets (hands up who's seen B&C2 on the Wall!), and that includes English Heritage getting them into their own shops! If you want something doing well ...

Mike Bishop