Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illustrations of Sassanid Persian Clibanarii
Quote:
Urselius post=361929 Wrote:The char aina armour of 17th-19th centuries was worn over mail:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/9...d329b7.jpg

The girdle of plates shown above is somewhat reminiscent of the Dura graffito, to my mind.

Early in the evolution of plate armour in Medieval Europe c. 1280- 1330 both the 'coat of plates' and limb armour, such as polyns, were worn over mail.
The practice was common in the Middle Ages, starting around the 12th century. Find an example before this time.

I don't need to, I am just indicating a precedent. It should be noted that the char aina armour over mail was worn in India, a rather hot region, apparently without disastrous overheating consequences, or problems of weight either.

Returning to the Roman cataphract, a description by Julian suggests that the elements of armour were connected by mail. This is a much greater technological leap - presaging Ottoman mail-and-plate - than merely wearing plate armour elements over a mailshirt or scale.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!

Messages In This Thread
Illustrations of Sassanid Persian Clibanarii - by Urselius - 11-26-2014, 09:24 PM