Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tripod device in Leo\'s Taktika
Hi all!

I'm reading Dennis' translation of Leo Wise's Taktika and at XI. 22 (p. 205) there is a tripod device.

"At the time of the Bulgarian expedition he invented another helpful device for defending the camp that should not lapse into forgetfulness. It is at once light to transport and clearly providing necessary protection. It was like this. He took two lengths of wood of equal size, about three spithamai or a little more, and joined them together to form a lambda. In like manner he then took another length of wood, of five or even six spithamai, and like a menaulon he placed it on the joint of the two-legged device and made it into a three- legged one, which got its strength from the legs being tightly bound to one another. On the tip of the menaulon-like pole he fixed a large and broad sword blade that extended out beyond the three-legged stand, as was reported, two spithamai or a little more. And so he set up those wooden caltrops when he wished and again took them down when he wished, using them for defense. At the same time, they could be used as weapons when the camp came under intense pressure from the <enemy> cavalry. As they advanced to attack the line of our forces, they would be wounded in charging against such a palisade. It could be easily taken up, transported, and set up again. When trenches could not often be gotten ready, these provided security."

Would anybody please explain me how could I imagine this device? Has anybody any drawing about it?
My questions are? How was it standing? On the lambda-shaped legs or on the three legs? I mean it is not clear, if it was lying or standing. Three-legged stand means that is was lying, which means for me: the front of the device was standing on the lambda-shaped part, and the end of the devive was standing on the menaulon.

Thanks your answer!
You can imagine it like a mortar whose barrel is a thick stick with a sword-blade fixed on it. In total, the pole with the blade was about 1.7-1.9 meters long.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Essentially, it was a form of chevaux-de-frise , but made more easily portable. Richard I used a similar defensive method at the Battle of Jaffa at the close of the Third Crusade. Not having pre-constructed blades, he merely hammered tent pegs in front of his infantry to help discourage the mounted enemy from attacking his front too vigorously.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
I have crudely edited this picture of a model of a tank trap to show what this device would have looked like:

[attachment=11073]WES-PWES-24003-1000x750.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Thanks all! I also supiced the mortar version.

pollux12
Quote:I have crudely edited this picture of a model of a tank trap to show what this device would have looked like:

[attachment=11073]WES-PWES-24003-1000x750.jpg[/attachment]

Now all the Romans need is Tanks :lol:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Quote:Now all the Romans need is Tanks :lol:
What about cataphracts? See R. M. Rattenbury, 'An Ancient Armoured Force', The Classical Review, Vol. 56, No. 3 (Nov. 1942), pp. 113-116.
Michael King Macdona

[attachment=11087]aagun.jpg[/attachment]

There will be some of you who know who these gentlemen are. If you object to me sharing this picture, just let me know and I'll remove it...which would be a shame as I love it!

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:I have crudely edited this picture of a model of a tank trap to show what this device would have looked like
I was dissatisfied with my first effort. I think that this is a slight improvement:

[attachment=11088]tanktrap.jpg[/attachment]

Michael King Macdona

Those amazing MS paint skills right there.