Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iron Helmet Cheek Pieces
I am not sure the terminology I am about use here is correct, but here goes. Is is it credible that an iron helmet cheek piece could have an <em>embossed</em> picture or pattern put on it using dots. I have seen it on a couple of cheek pieces found here in the UK, but they were made of copper alloy.<br>
<br>
Hope someone can help, before I make an expensive mistake, best regards,<br>
<br>
Andrew <p></p><i></i>
Andrew, is the famous Arbeia cheekpiece bronze? I always thought that it was iron? <p></p><i></i>
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Mithras,<br>
<br>
Yes, it is indeed bronze. Everything I have seen so far with incised and pounced designs on are (well original pieces anyway*). Often though they are tinned, presumably for contrast purposes, and this may give the impression that they are made of iron. A good example of this is the Arbeia umbo, which was found with the mentioned cheekpiece on the edge of the Tyne.<br>
<br>
That said, I see no reason why it could not be done on iron, and it would be great to have such a pattern on my cheekpieces. They will be the same shape as the Arbeia one, but made of iron. The armourer seems quite keen to have ago, and I think it would be a wonderful touch. But would it be feasible?<br>
<br>
Best wishes,<br>
<br>
Andrew<br>
<br>
*There is a pounced steel umbo at Quinta. Have you seen it?<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=sassanid@romanarmytalk>Sassanid</A> at: 11/30/04 10:01 am<br></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Niederbieber helmet cheek fastening? Sam Steele 4 1,148 02-08-2019, 09:12 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Deepeeka Imperial Italic D vs Gallic G Helmet Cheek Guard lenghts wwiigunz 0 1,158 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: wwiigunz
  Silvering iron helmet Doc 14 2,801 02-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar