Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10th Legion sent to Rome, enroute to Jewish War
:?: I am trying to substantiate that the 10th legion occupying Britain was withdrawn along with Dutch Contingents to be reconstituted in Rome and then sent to the Mideast to fight in the Jewish war(s). Legend has it that veterans of the 10th legion were then granted lands in the Abruzzo region of Italy pursuant to Senate decrees (Cafus brothers as Senators). The capital was named AQUILA after Roman Imperial Eagle on army standards. Seeking verification for distinct body and hair coloration currently observed in Abruzzo region of Italy. Any information in this regard. [email protected]
I begin to wonder if in fact you do not mean the 9th Legion for I do not think the 10th occupied Britain.
Brian Stobbs
Hello Peter!
Are you sure about the origin of the name of the city of L'Aquila (Abruzzo, Italy) ?

I knew that the history of the city of l’Aquila begin around the 1229, when the inhabitants of various castles of the region get permission from Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor and King of Sicily, to build a new big city with anti-feudal purpose.

The city was found in 1254 and named Aquila from the place where was build. In fact, the area at the foot of the hill where the city was built was characterized for the presence of many water springs and named Santa Maria de Aquilis, Acculum and subsequently Acilie, Akilie, Accule, Accula, Acquili…all Latin diminutives of "water" (aqua).

So the city was called AQUILA and the similarity of the name led to the symbol of the Eagle (Aquila, in Italian) that is the symbol on the Hohenstaufen imperial insignia.

During the roman period the principal city of the “Aquila region” was the old Sabine town of Amiternum (9 km west of l’Aquila).

Best!
S.M.
--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
I relied upon my Latin dictionary for the spelling Aquila as fem form Aquilus (AN EAGLE)
Military:AN EAGLE AS THE STANDARD OF EACH ROMAN LEGION

A Town in NE Italy in existence: ALQUILEIA

My dictionary: Cassell's New Latin Dictionary/ Eton College 1959

There is no mention of any post Roman reference to Aquila

It would seem probable that the Roman name AQUILA would be carried over into the dark ages and adopted for the area SAMNIUM defined as a mountainous region of Central Italy between Campania and the Adriatic Sea (Abruzzo). Thank You very much Petertimber ([email protected])
Quote:I relied upon my Latin dictionary for the spelling Aquila as fem form Aquilus (AN EAGLE)
Military:AN EAGLE AS THE STANDARD OF EACH ROMAN LEGION
I think that you might need to look at your dictionary again. Aquila meaning 'eagle' or 'eagle standard' is feminine. There is, as far as I can ascertain, no noun aquilus. The adjective aquilus, -a, -um means 'dark-coloured, swarthy'.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the 10th legion Fretensis–Antoniniana in Jerusalem Gunthamund Hasding 21 6,066 09-12-2017, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  where was 9th legion stationed during Jewish wars Petertimber 4 1,598 10-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Renatus
  Hospital built by the 10th Legion Found Narukami 20 5,563 11-25-2009, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Alexandr K