Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Men of Rome
Salve:

Here follows a piece I have been writing for some time now, titled 'Men of Rome'. Comments will be greatly appreciated.

Vale:

Gaius Octavius Drusus

Men of Rome

Prelude: Part I
Time: Unknown
Location: The columned, marble-covered forecourt of Olympus; white mist and scattered clouds are everywhere.

Iovi Optimo Maximo raises a thickly-muscled forearm and gestures. Thus are the spirits of three Romans willed to come forth before him. They are:

Marcus Aurelius, Emperor of Rome
Germanicus Julius Caesar
Marcus Cassius Scaeva, Primus Pilus, Legio X Fretensis

After some moments of confusion, the three Romans realize where they are. Germanicus and Marcus Cassius Scaeva fall to their knees and bow their heads. Only Marcus Aurelius remains standing, a look of awe and intense curiosity etched on his face.

Jupiter begins to speak, his booming voice causing peals of thunder off in the distance.

"Men of Rome, hearken to my voice. We gave your people an Empire to surpass all others. For a time, we were content to see Rome expand and prosper. However, later generations were unworthy of this honor and so we withdrew our protection. Now, it has pleased us to give Rome a second chance at life. You, Marcus Aurelius were one of Rome's greatest Emperors. You, Germanicus Julius Caesar are one of Rome's greatest generals, second only to Caesar himself. You, Marcus Cassius Scaeva, Primus Pilus of Legio X Fretensis are the greatest centurion Rome ever produced. The three of you are charged with the task of restoring Rome to the greatness of her former days. To aid you in this task, Legion X Fretensis, its fortress and the city surrounding it will be transported and placed wherever we see fit"

With this, Marcus Cassius Scaeva's heart leaps in exultation.

"Now, speak your minds. We command you"

Marcus Cassius Scaeva steps forward and asks "Mighty one, what of my commander?"

"He is not up to this great task we have settled upon you. Germanicus Julius Caesar, stand forth!! You, Germanicus will command Legio X Fretensis, with Marcus Cassius Scaeva as your Primus Pilus. Furthermore, the men of the Legio will regard and obey Germanicus as if he had always been their commander. Now, Go and know that we will be watching".

As the three Romans fade from view, Jupiter cocks his mighty arm backwards and casts a great golden lightning bolt off into the distance.

Prelude: Part II
Date: MCCXXXXIV AUC / 9 BCE
In the camp of Legio X Fretensis, all is well and peaceful. The skies are crystal-clear, and there is a hint of a light summer breeze. Those legionaries not on guard duty have either retired for the night, or are drinking and gaming amiably with their fellows. In certain parts of the fortress, the only sounds to be heard are those of clattering wine cups, the clicking of dice being rolled, and the occasional dog barking. Little did these men know that when they woke up the next morning, the Legio would be facing a new and entirely different future.

Date: Iunius XIII MDCXXX AUC/ June 13th, 877 A.D
The great thunderbolt cast by Jupiter arrives at its target. It breaks, casting a vast hemisphere of radiant golden light over an area measuring some ten mille across. When the light dissipates, a Roman legionary fortress appears, along with a medium-size Roman city. Last to appear are a large, domed structure (the Pantheon), an immense rectangular building with elaborately-worked columns, a painted frieze and pediments full of statues, carvings and other artwork (the Temple of Zeus from Olympia) and a complex of other buildings, all of various shapes and sizes (the great Library of Alexandria and the Forum of Trajan).

Prelude: Part III
Date: Iunius XIII, MDCXXX AUC/June 13th, 877 AD
Time: before dawn

In the pre-dawn Tuscan darkness, the excited shouts of those sentries atop the walls of Legio X Fretensis' fortress spear the cool air. It is these men who first behold what has happened. Above the Porta Principalis Dextra (the fortress' main gate), two legionaries are talking excitedly to each other.

"By all the Great Gods, Lucius!! What was that??" Quintus mumbles half-forgotten prayers against misfortune and evil.

"I don't know, Quintus. It was as if the sky itself was ablaze with golden light". Lucius fingers an amulet at his throat and nervously shifts his gladius in its scabbard.

Quintus shakes Lucius by the shoulders and exclaims "Snap out of it, man!! Gather your wits and go let our centurio know what we have seen. He will surely know what to do."

With this, Lucius takes to his heels and runs off as if the Furies were pursuing him. In his haste, Lucius nearly trips over the doorsill of the watchtower above the gate. His footsteps echo faintly as Quintus hefts his scutum and pila while nervously eyeing the countryside.

Prelude: Part IV
Time: the morning of Iunius XIII, MDCCXXX AUC / June 13th, 877 AD
Location: The house of Germanicus Julius Caesar, Legatus Legionis, Legio X Fretensis.

In the atrium, Marcus Aurelius, Emperor of Rome stands forth, the look on his regal face giving form to the thoughts that rise in his mind. He paces back and forth, repeatedly clasping and un-clasping his hands behind his back. To one side stands Germanicus Julius Caesar, Legatus Legionis.

The Emperor turns to Germanicus and says " Well, Legate. It appears as if what we experienced was
neither a dream or the results of imbibing too much of your excellent Falernian wine".

"Yes, Caesar. That is true. I have been receiving reports from the sentries who were on duty last night, and all the reports are the same. A great golden dome of light suddenly sprang into being overhead, and extended in all directions. I can only imagine the panic in the city right about now."

"A most pertinent thought, Legate. Send word to the City Senate and also to the chief men of the city that they are to assemble this afternoon at the Princpia. You will also have the Praefectus Castrum and all officers in Legio X Fretensis above the rank of Optio there as well. I will address them as regards what has happened."

"Yes, Caesar. That does promise to be an interesting meeting. I will see to it at once". Germanicus salutes the Emperor and leaves him to his contemplations. Germanicus proceeds to his orderly room and says "Optio Gaius Octavius Drusus, attend me!!".

Gaius Octavius Drusus jumps up from his desk, renders a salute and says "Yes, Legate"?

"Inform the Praefectus Castrum and all officers in the legio above the rank of Optio that they are to assemble at the Principia this afternoon. Also, send messengers to the city without that the city senate and the chief men of the city are to be in attendance. The Emperor will address us in regards to what has happened".

"Immediately, Legate". Optio Gaius turns and leaves the room, hastening to carry out his orders.

Ad Locutio
"Men of Legio X Fretensis and of the City without, by the Will of The Gods we have been thrust forward to this time and place. Rome is all but gone, the Eternal City has fallen from greatness and we few are all that remain. Quirinus has tasked us with the restoration of Rome to her former glory. This will be the work of not just one generation, but many. To this end, the City Senate is raised to the level of the former Senate in Rome, to rank as such from this day forward. You centurions of Legio X Fretensis are urged to be on high alert until such time as the situation in the surrounding area can be determined."

--An excerpt from a speech by Marcus Aurelius to the men of Legio X Fretensis and the chief men of the city on the afternoon of Iunius XIII, MDCXXX AUC.

Operations Order
Time: the morning of Iunius XVI, MDCXXX AUC/June 16th, 877AD
Location: In the Principia, headquarters of Legio X Fretensis

Germanicus Julius Caesar calls out "Primus Pilus, attend me"

"Yes, Legate?"

"I want you to send detachments of the First Cohort to explore the surrounding territory out to a distance of five mille* in every direction from the city boundaries"

"At once, Legate. For safety's sake, I will have the detachments each be composed of four contubernia"

"I approve. See to the disposition of the troops".

With this dismissal, Marcus salutes the Legate and leaves the Principia.

First Blood
Date: The afternoon of Iunius XVI, MDCXXX AUC/ June 16th, 877 AD

Characters: Centurio Quintus Darius Macro, Coh I, Cen II Legio X Fretensis
Decurio Sextus Justus, Coh I, Cen II, Legio X Fretensis
Tiro Publius Vagiennus
Legionary Titus Flavius Bassus

"Centurio Quintus, have you noticed that we have been followed for the last half hour?"

"Yes, I have, Decurio Sextus. Whoever they are, they're up to no good. Ther're also making a bad show of trying to hide themselves, as if that miserable bunch of Irrumatores* could ever hope to sneak up on us. Still, I don't like it. Pass the word to the men and be ready for action."

"Yes, Centurio". Decurio Sextus speaks quietly to the standard-bearer and orders 'Ad Agmine'** In less time than it takes to frame the thought, word passes through the ranks. The legionaries shift their scuta to the front and raise their pila to the throwing position, all movements being done with the easy familiarity of hardened veterans.

Some 10 minutes later, the column rounds a small hill and sees a double-rank of armed men standing across their path. There are some sixty enemy troops on foot, armed and armored to varying degrees. There are seven horsemen to the rear of the formation; six of these are clad in mail, helmet and shield and carrying swords and spears. The seventh is mail-clad and bears only a sword and shield. He is also wearing an elaborate tabard worked with a design in gold & silver thread and a helmet with a simple nasal guard.

The seventh rider urges his horse forward and begins to speak. His speech is garbled by Roman standards, but what he is saying is this: "Who are you and what are you doing here? By my authority as Lord of the Manor, I order you to answer me immediately!!".

"Centurio Quintus, that is the worst accent I have ever heard. His voice sounds like he is talking with a mouthful of rocks. Can you make out what he is saying?"

"Decurio Sextus, I can only make out about one word in five of what he is saying. I think he wants to know who we are."

The leader of the armed men draws his sword and orders his men forward. Centurio Quintus observes to himself "This sack of merda is going to get more than he bargained for". He then shouts "AD CUNEUM"*** This Roman battlecry is the first to be heard in this area in more than 400 years. The enemy troops begin to charge, but just as they first move, a lone pila flashes out from the ranks. Thrown by Tiro Publius Vagiennus, it takes the enemy leader in the face and penetrates his head completely; only stopping when the joint block hits the upper jaw. The leader's lifeless body falls
from the saddle.

Loud cries are heard form the enemy ranks as Centurio Quintus next orders 'PILA IACE'***; the command is repeated a second time, and the two volleys result in six of the enemy horses being killed immediately, along with half of the enemy troops. The remaining enemy are barely ten paces from the Roman front when Centurio Quintus' voice bellows out 'GLADIUM STRINGE'....'PARATI"......'PORRO'****.

The next several minutes are consumed with a malestrom of violence, one of sword on shield and sword against sword. Decurio Sextus suffers a broken jaw when a thrown enemy axe strikes him in the left side of the face; his helmet's left jaw flap prevents the blow from doing any more serious injury, but is broken free in the process. Another legionary has his upper left arm laid open by a swordcut.

Four enemy troops manage to gain the Romans' left flank. Three of them are engaged by Legionary Titus Flavius Bassus. Each is killed with a single swift thrust of his gladius; one to the throat, one to the armpit and the final one to the kidneys. The fourth is simultaneously bashed between two scuta and dispatched with a single thrust of the gladii from each of the legionaries holding them.

As suddenly as the combat started, the action is now over. The bodies of 67 enemy troops litter the field, along with six dead enemy horses. The seventh horse is off a little ways in a small thicket of woods. The assembled legionaries raise their gladii on high and exultantly shout 'ROMA VICTA', to mark the first battle won by Roman arms in more than 400 years.

Centurio Quintus surveys the battlefield and orders the enemy dead gathered up and stripped of all equipment. he next orders a work party to gather wood in order to burn the bodies. He orders one of his legionaries to take the surviving enemy horse and ride swiftly back to camp to summon aid. Finally, the medicus attached to the vexillatio sees to Decurio Sextus and the other wounded legionary.
*: A Latin obscenity
**: Assume Battle Stance
***: Form Wedge
****: Draw Swords....Ready....CHARGE

First Blood: Aftermath
Time: After the battle, the afternoon of Iunius XVI MDCXXX AUC/ June 16th, 877 AD.
As one contubernia marches off to gather wood for the rather-unpleasant task of burning the enemy dead, the remaining three array themselves in a circle around Centurio Quintus, Decurio Sextus and the injured legionary. Scuta were grounded and pila retrieved so that their points could be straightened. All eyes were alert and turned outwards, watching for further enemy action.

Inside the circle, Centurio Quintus watched intently as the Medicus and his two assistants attended to the wounded men. Decurio Sextus' broken jaw was treated first by giving him a poppy extract for pain. Next, the bruised skin was gently rubbed with a healing ointment. Lastly, the jaw was wrapped securely to keep the broken bones from shifting. The Medicus' two assistants were seeing to the legionary with the swordcut on his right arm. He also was given a poppy extract for pain. This was followed up by fixing four silver staples through the edges of the wound at various points, then finally stitching the wound closed with fine silk thread that had been specially-treated for this purpose. A padded sling was made so that the legionary could rest his his arm while on the march back to camp.

Meanwhile, two legionaries who were on the woodcutting detail happened to come across a small, thin man in fine clothing who was hiding behind a bush. He addressed them first in guttural Italian and then in bad Latin, his voice quaking in fear. What he said was this: "Please, I beg you. Do not harm me. I am unarmed". The two legionaries instantly take their prisoner back to where the other troops were gathered.

"Centurio Quintus, Centurio Quintus!! See who we have found. We caught him hiding behind a bush like a scared rabbit"

"Very well. Bring him forward. Good job you two on the capturing of him."

The man slowly realizes that he is in no immediate danger of being harmed or killed. His confidence returns somewhat and he gathers his thoughts before speaking in fractured Latin. "My name is Petrus and I am but a humble scribe. I was with my lord Ranulf when your men slew him in battle. I was accompanying him and his men on the march to see if we could discover what had happened after we saw a great golden dome of light in the sky early this morning". Upon hearing this, Centurio Quintus' face assumes a knowing look. Petrus continues to speak. "My lord Ranulf's castellum is but ten mille from here. We had made slow progress on the march, having been on the road for some eight hours before you found us". Petrus turns his head and spits. "Ranulf was a cruel man and oppressed his people greatly. His death will not be mourned. As for me, I am in your hands. What do you want me to do?"

Centurio Quintus says "I have summoned aid from our camp. It should be here in a few hours. Until that time, you will remain here with us."

Aftermath; Part 2
Date: later that same day
While Centurio Quintus is waiting for aid to arrive from the camp of Legio X Fretensis, he and two of his legionaries are exploring the land nearby to the battle site when one of the legionaries spots something out of the ordinary. It is a large outcropping of rock, perahps twcie the height of a man and five times that width at the base. From the side facing the Via Principalis Sinistra, it appears to be normal. But when Centurio Quintus rounds the other side of the rock, he sees something amazing. Instead of a broken, weathered rockface, he sees his own reflection, as if in a mirror or still pool of water. A mumbled exclamation escapes his lips as he beholds the rear of the rock, cut smoothly from top to bottom as if by a razor and more perfectly finished than could be done by a dozen men and a barrel of Jeweller's Rouge.

The second legionary is heading back to where the rest of the troops are gathered when he notices something about the road: It just isn't there. The part they marched in on is there, but it suddenly stops. The end of the paving stones are sheared off clean, as from a blow by a headsman's axe. Centurio Quintus hears the legionary's exclamation and comes over to investigate.

"Steady up, man!! You're a Roman soldier, not some wet-nosed tiro!!"

"Yes, Centurio". The legionary still continues to finger the amulet at his neck, eyes scanning the countryside.

"All right, you two. Back to the others. We will wait until help arrives." After returing to the other legionaries, Centurio Quintus relates what was discovered. He orders "We stay put until help arrives. There's something strange going on here. No one leaves the immediate area". Centurio Quintus thinks a moment and then sends an order for the woodcutting party to return.

Meanwhile, back at the camp of Legio X Fretensis, the captured enemy horse clatters to a stop at the main gate. The legionary riding him (being no great hand at horseback riding) falls to the ground while uttering a few choice curses about the miserable sack of merda bibulum he was riding. He is quickly ushered to the Principia, where the Legatus Legionis, Primus Pilus and Praefectus Castrum are in conference.

"Legatus Legionis, I beg to report" he says as he also renders a salute.

"Yes, what is it?"

"Legate, the vexillatio you sent out to scout the countryside encountered a mixed force of enemy foot and horse. They spoke no language I ever heard and then attacked us. We were outnumbered two-to-one and still managed to kill them all!! We only took two casualties. Decurio Sextus has a broken jaw and one legionary has a bad swordcut on his right arm." The legionary's cheast is heaving with excitement as he delivers his report.

With this, all three officers leap up from their map table. Legatus Germanicus' voice thunders forth "OPTIO GAIUS OCTAVIUS DRUSUS, ATTEND ME!!"

"Yes, Legate?"

"Alert the First Cohort to be ready to move out in one hour. Half of their Alae of Cavalry will accompany them to act as scouts and messengers. All are to be in full marching kit with four days rations." Optio Gaius and the legionary who brought the report salute and turn to leave, when the Legate halts them and tosses the legionary a small leather sack of denarii as a reward. He snaps to attention and renders yet another salute, his back as straight as a swordblade. "Many thanks, Legatus Legionis!!".

One hour later, the First Cohort and half-Alae of cavalry are assembled and ready to march, their centurial banners flapping in the afternoon breeze. Ther order to march is given, and they commence to moving out by column-of-fours.

The Romans are coming, The Romans are coming...
Date: Iunius XVI MDCXXX AUC/ June 16th, 877 AD
Time: An hour before dusk

Characters: Centurio Quintus Darius Macro, Pilus Prior Lucius Decumius Francus

Centurio Quintus, having just seen to the disposition of the troops on guard duty, has just settled down to eat part of his rations. Suddenly, a call rings out from the top of a nearby oak tree. The call is form a legionary stationed there as a lookout. "Centurio Quintus, Centurio Quintus, Ho there!! I have spied our reinforcements"

"Where away, legionary?"

"They will be here within the half-hour, Centurio."

"Good work, Legionary. Keep watch and apprise me of their progress."

"Yes, Centurio." With this, Centurio Quintus returns to his meal. He is just finishing up when he hears the sound of a cornicern blowing his trumpet. Immediately, he goes to greet the advance guard and finds that it is lead by none other than Pilus Pilor Lucius Decumius, Commander of the First Cohort himself. The two men exchange salutes and greetings.

"Hail, Pilus Prior."

"Hail, Centurio Quintus, what goes?. We received your dispatch back at camp and were promptly dispatched by the Legatus Legionis."

Centurio Quintus proceeds to give the Pilus Prior a detailed report concerning the action fought earlier today. After hearing it, Pilus Prior Lucius comments "Well done, Centurio Quintus. That so-called enemy commander seems like he had his head up his cloaca."

Centurio Quintus chuckles and says "Many thanks, Pilus Prior. I was about to have the bodies of those dead troops burned, but I judged it expedient to recall the woodcutting party."

"I see, Centurio Quintus. It will not do to have such a stinking mess close by to our marching camp. I will detail my Second Centuria to drag them a few stadia away and dispose of them there. I have issued orders for the rest of the troops to begin building the camp. In the meantime, what intelligence do you have for me?"

"Pilus Prior, we captured a man by the name of Petrus. He claims to be a scribe attached to the column that attacked us."

"Very good, Centurio. Bring him in." Centurio Quintus motions to the two legionaries posted by the command tent. They leave and then return with the prisoner.

Centurio Quintus tells the prisoner "This is Pilus Prior Lucius Decumius Francus. He is commander of the First Cohort of Legio X Fretensis."

"My lord Pilus Prior. I am Petrus, a humble scribe formerly attached to the household of my late lord Ranulf. He was lord of this area until your men slew him and all of his men in battle earlier today. He had marched to try and discover the cause of that great golden dome of light seen in the skies but three days past. I was with him to document what was found, if anything."

"I see. Tell me of this Ranulf. What sort of man was he?"

"Ranulf was hard and cruel, being much-given to excess. He was headstrong and often thought little before acting. His people were oppressed greatly, but none dared to speak against him."

"Tell me of his lands, Petrus.

"Yes, Pilus Prior. You stand upon them now; they measure some three hundred and fifty square mille in extent. They are some of the richest agricultural lands anywhere around. The ground is so very fertile that the crop yields are often 200-fold in excess of what was planted. The crops are principally wheat, corn, barley, oats and hay for fodder. There are also pear trees, walnut trees and a large vineyard."

"What else, Petrus?"

"My late lord Ranulf also had a silver mine in the hills just ten mille from here." Ranulf points in the direction indicated. "There are also significant deposits of lead nearby."

"Excellent. As Ranulf's castellum is no longer guarded, I claim it in the name of the Senate and the People of Rome. You will come with us to translate, but be warned. If you play me false, I'll pole your head above my command tent."

Petrus is escorted out of the tent by the two legionaries. Pilus Prior Lucius and Centurio Quintus now turn their thoughts to the building of a marching camp. Soon, the cool air of dusk is rent by the sounds of men hard at work. Spades and dolabrae chugg into the earth, while axes ring in the nearby woods as timber is felled for the camp's palisade. By the rise of the next morning's sun, the last spade of earth had been tossed and the last stake set into place. The camp is now complete.

At noontime the next day, Pilus Prior Lucius Decumius Franco dispatches one of the cavalrymen from the half-alae attached to the First Cohort. His mission is to bring word back to the main camp of Legio X Fretensis; specifically to tell the Legatus Legionis of his plans to march on the enemy castellum and take it for Rome.

Date: Iunius XVII, MDCXXX AUC/ June 17th, 877 AD
Time: Mid-day
"Sin, Sin, Sin, Dex, Sin." The precisely-measured steps of legionaries on the march tell off the distance with near-mechanistic precision. At noontime, a brief halt is called so the troops can refresh themselves. The march is resumed and barely an hour later, the First Cohort is nearing its objective. Pilus Prior Lucius Decumius Franco agian orders a halt, and then disposes his troops into a tactical formation. He looks upon the castellum, and to his great amazement, he recongizes it as a Roman watchtower with an associated message station. There are also other buildings; these and the watchtower have been surrounded by a crudely-finished stone wall. Pilus Pilor Lucius calls Petrus forward and asks him about the castellum.

"Petrus, what opposition am I likely to face here?."

"My lord Pilus Prior, Ranulf took his whole force with him on the march. All that remain here are a few squires, old men and boys barely old enough to lift a weapon. Certainly, no one who can oppose you in any meaningful way. There is also a village of some 800 souls but three stadia away from here."

"Very good, Petrus. You will go forward with the advance guard and tell those in the castellum to surrender. They and their personal property will not be touched. Ranulf's property and treasury is forfeit to Rome. Tell them also that if any violence is offered to any of my men, i will take the place by storm and the offenders will be killed immediately."

"Yes, Lord." The advance guard goes forward and the cornicen blows his trumpet to summon those inside. A few heads peer anxiously over the gate, looks of fear and apprehension on their faces. Petrus goes on to repeat the Pilus Prior's demands.

Just 15 minutes later, the gates are thrown open and a young woman dressed in a long flowing blue gown and a white headpiece comes out. "I am the Lady Erminegar and I am the wife of Ranulf. I surrender the castellum to you on promise of fair treatment. There are none here able to defend us in any case. I wish to speak to your leader." Petrus translates this for the Romans; Lady Erminegar is subsequently conducted to the Pilus Prior's Command Tent. Petrus stands by to translate.

"I am Pilus Prior Lucius Decumius Franco, Commander of the First Cohort, Legio X Fretensis. I am told you are the wife of Ranulf?"

"Yes, Lord."

"You do know that your husband and all of his men are dead? They were killed in battle against my troops only yesterday."

"Yes, Lord."

"Since you surrendered the castellum willingly and without violence, you are under my protection. You may remain in your quarters is you so choose. You, your servants and your personal property will not be touched; you have my word as a Roman officer. I also want you to send word to all of the chief men in the villages hereabouts that they are to assemble here in two days time."

"Yes, Lord. it shall be done as you ordered."

"Very well, you may return to your quarters". Pilus Prior Lucius next orders the collection of all arms in the castellum. The headquarters optiones he dispatches to survey the contents of the granaries, barns and storehouses report that they are all filled to overflowing. A detail sent to confiscate Ranulf's treasury reports back in amazement. In addition to a large, iron-bound oaken chest filled with various items of jewellry and gold, there are four immense candelabra made of silver, each one being more than the height of a man. Finally, a locked door in Ranulf's quarters is forced open. behind the door is a large, dimly-lit room. In this room are piled silver ingots and bars, all of varying sizes. The survey detail counts the silver and finds that the total quatity is 200 talents worth.

The Spoils of War
Time: the evening of Iunius XVII, MDCXXX AUC/ June 17th, 877 AD.

The cavalry trooper dispatched by Pilus Prior Lucius Decumius Franco to carry messages to the camp of Legio X Fretensis arrived back at the marching camp of the First Cohort. He is ushered into the command tent, where he he gives a proper salute and makes his report to Pilus Prior Lucius Decumus Franco

"Hail, Pilus Prior. I beg to report."

"Hail, Legionary. Proceed"

"Primus Pilus, I gave your report directly to the Legtus Legionis himself. He instructed me to tell you that your orders concerning the disposition of captured enemy property are confirmed, and that you are to proceed as you think best, taking due care with regards to the safety of your command."

"Excellent news, Legionary. I see that you have been in the saddle for many hours today. You are relieved of duty for the next 24 hours so that you can rest and refresh yourself."

"Thank you, Pilus Prior."

Pilus Prior Lucius next summons Optio Marcus Junius Dubitatus. "Optio Marcus, I have instructions for you."

"Yes, Pilus prior?"

"Optio Marcus, later this morning you are to gather a number of wagons sufficient to transport all captured treasure and equipment back to the camp of Legio X Fretensis. I want you to see to the loading personally. Tell Centurio Quintus that he and the four contubernia attached to him are to provide the escort. Tell Centurio Quintus I wish to see him now."

"Immediately, Pilus Prior."

Centurio Quintus comes into the command tent and salutes the Pilus Prior.

"Centurio Quintus, I will be commending the actions of you and your men in the recent battle to the
attention of the Legatus Legonis. Such conduct deserves to be rewarded."

"Thank you, Pilus Prior".

At dawn, Centurio Quintus and Optio Marcus see to the gathering and loading of the wagons. There are twenty in all, some loaded with the silver and gold from Ranulf's treasury and still others loaded with the weapons and gear taken from the bodies of those slain in battle. As the wagons are loaded, the morning activities of a Roman marching camp continue unabated. Wood is being chopped and stacked; men are seeing to their equipment and the morning meal is being cooked. Soon, the delicious smells of roasted meats, fresh bread and vegetables are wafting their way through camp, joined by the tangy odor of woodsmoke rising into the cool morning air.

Spoils of War, Part 2
Date: Iunius XVIIII MDCXXX AUC/ June 19th, 877 AD
Time: Mid-morning

The caravan dispatched by the Pilus Prior arrives back at the camp of Legio X Fretensis. Centurio Quintus is immediately summoned by the Legatus Legionis to give a report.

"Proceed, Centurio Quintus."

"Yes, Legate. I am pleased to report that the caravan sent by the Pilus Prior arrived in good order. We encountered no enemy opposition along the way. As to the contents, there are two hundred talents of silver in the form of bars and ingots, two hundred librae of worked gold and items of jewelry in an iron-bound oaken chest and four immense candelabra of solid silver. The weight of these is two talents each. There is also a wagon of captured enemy equipment for your perusal."

"Excellent work, Centurio. See that the valuables are stored away under guard. Bring any armor,
weapons and equipment to me that you think of interest."

"Immediately, Legate." A half hour later, Legatus Legionis Germanicus is attending to various administrative duties when Optio Gaius returns with a small detail carrying various items of enemy weapons, armor and equipment. These are laid out on a table for inspection. The legionaries are dismissed; Optio Gaius salutes and turns to leave.

"Optio Gaius, remain a moment."

"Yes, Legate?"

"I have read the report concerning the actions of you and your vexillatio during that battle with those enemy troops. Your conduct was in the finest traditions of Roman service. Those three legionaries of yours particularly distinguished themselves. I have recommended to the Emperor that you and they be recognized accordingly."

"Thank you, Legate. They will be pleased to hear that."

"You may return to your duties, Centurio." Optio Gaius Octavius Drusus is standing by in the legate's ofice. "Optio Gaius, attend me."

"Yes, Legate?"

"You boast a knowledge of arms, armor and metalworking, do you not?"

"Yes, Legate, I do indeed."

"I'll have your opinion of this captured enemy equipment."

“As you command, Legate." Optio Gaius spends the next half hour examining the equipment in minute detail. He also examines one of the saddles with a look of curiosity on his face. "Legate, the enemy mail is similar to ours in form but not in construction. Half of the rings in our mail are punched solid from a metal plate, while the others are made from wire with the ends riveted closed. The rings in the enemy mail are all made from wire with riveted ends, and the wire itself is thicker than ours to make up for being of inferior quality. The enemy helmets are but simple iron caps with attached nasal guards. Note the lack of protection for the jaws and the back of the neck. As for the finish, Bah!!. These so-called helmets look like they were bashed out with a tree stump and a rock. Whichever sack of merda bibulum made them should be taken out and scourged for this insult. About all they are good for is to use as chamber pots."

Legate Germanicus chuckles at the venom in Optio Gaius' voice. "What of the weapons, Optio?"

"The axes and daggers are what they are. I can find no fault in them, except that they are poorly- balanced. The swords however, are a different matter." Optio Gaius hefts the sword taken from Ranulf. "This one has a hilt fit for the Emperor, but the blade is absolute garbage. It is too wide and there is no point; the edge isn't fit to do anything more than chopping vegetables. Optio Gaius casts down the sword in disgust. "These spears were used as lances by the enemy horsemen? No wonder why we were able to kill them so easily. A lancea needs some real heft in order to take the shock of a charge, and these are too thin and light. The only part of the design I approve of are the sockets. These have a one-piece design, with the edges welded together. Ours have sockets with the edges just hammered together."

"Tell me about the saddle."

"Yes, Legate. It's like nothing I have ever seen before. Our saddles have four horns that our riders use to steady themselves by pressing against them with their thighs. This saddle doesn't have them. Instead, it has those two curious belts depending from the sides with those large metal rings at the end. Unless I miss my guess, the rider steadies himself in the saddle by putting his feet through the rings." A look of comprehension crosses Optio Gaius' face. "Those belts are so bloody simple!! Why didn't we ever think of that? They look to provide a much more secure seat."

"Thank you, Optio Gaius. You knowledge is valuable as always."

"At your convenience, Legate."

Acta Diurna
Date: Iunius XXII, MDCXXX AUC / June 22nd, 877 AD

It is reported that the Emperor has issued the following decrees for the better ordering of Nova Roma.

Concerning the issuance of coinage

The design and issuance of gold coins is solely within the purview of the Emperor. The design of silver, brass and copper coins is at the discretion of the Senate. The only proviso is that such coins will prominently feature the letters ‘SC' for ‘Senatus Consultum' prominently featured on the reverse.
Commentary: The Senate is considering this decree and is expected to confirm it within the week.

Concerning the disposition of captured enemy lands

All lands taken within the jurisdiction of Nova Roma are to be considered part of the Ager Publicus. Farmers and smallholders on such portions of that land will be given title and ownership of them, to be confirmed by payment (on an annual basis) of a 20% tax in cash or kind.
Commentary: This decree is now in force, as it is not subject to Senatorial action.

Concerning the issue of Citizenship
Men from the peoples and groups who come under the governance of Nova Roma and who join the legions will be granted citizenship upon the completion of their term of service. Their wives can apply become citizens at the end of five years, and all children they have are citizens of Nova Roma by birth. The basic requirements for the granting of citizenship in Nova Roma are a fluent ability to speak, read and write Latin, a familiarity with Roman customs, law and history, plus the swearing of an oath of loyalty and allegiance to Nova Roma. Citizenship will be granted immediately if the candidate performs some notable act of bravery while serving in the legions or for some great service to Nova Roma.
Commentary: The Senate is currently debating this decree.

Concerning service in the legions
The term of service in the legions is twenty years, with a further term of five years as a member of the veteranii. Legionaries shall receive the sum of one denarius per diem, and such other allowances as are decreed by the Emperor. After twenty years, a legionary will receive a cash bonus equal to the total salary received during that period. As a veteranus, a legionary will receive a bonus of 50% over his regular pay. After five years of service as a veteranus, a legionary will receive one hundred iugera of land. If a legionary dies in the service, his family will receive all pay, bonuses and land as if he had completed the full 25 years. If a legionary shall be discharged for reasons of injury, he shall receive all pay due for the remainder of his full term of service, along with the 20-year bonus and the 100 iugera of land. Furthermore, his medical expenses shall be paid by the state.
Commentary: This decree is now in force, as it is not subject to Senatorial action.

Awards Ceremony
Date: Iunius XXIV MDCXXX AUC/ June 24th, 877 AD
In the midst of the parade ground between the city and the camp of Legio X Fretensis, a temporary rostrum has been erected. The sides of the platform have been decked in imperial purple, fringed with gold. There is an elaborate wooden chair in the middle of the platform, and upon the chair is seated Marcus Aurelius, Emperor of Rome. To his right are set the standards of Legio X Fretensis, their banners waving proudly in the afternoon breeze. To the Emperor's left are gathered the senior officers of the Legion, including the Legatus Legionis, the Primus Pilus and the Praefectus Castrum.

After introductory rites and prayers by the priests of Iovi Optimo Maximo, the Emperor begins to speak. "Men of the Legion, we are gathered here today to honor the courage, steadfastness and valor of several of your fellows." The assembled legionaries spontaneously thunder forth "HAIL CAESAR, HAIL CAESAR, HAIL CAESAR". The Emperor resumes speaking after the cheers have subsided.

"Publius Vagiennus, of the Second Century, First Cohort, Stand Forth! For your exemplary service in the recent battle, you are promoted from Tiro to Miles Gregarius. For killing the enemy commander with a single throw of your pila, you are awarded a Corona Aurea. Accept also from my hand the ring of the enemy leader." At this, the Emperor hands over a massive ring of elaborately-worked gold set with a large carnelian.

"Legionary Titus Flavius Bassus, of the Second Century, First Cohort, Stand Forth!. For blunting the enemy attack on the left flank by killing three men with as many thrusts of your gladius, you are awarded a full set of nine silver phalerae and a scarlet vexillum banner trimmed with gold bullion, and embroidered with the name of your unit.

"Legionaries Sextus Claudius Rufus and Appius Sempronius Tuditanus, of the Second Century, First Cohort, Stand Forth! For helping Titus Flavius Bassus blunt the enemy attack on the left flank, you are each awarded a silver spear."

"Centurio Quintus Darius Macro, commander of the Second Century, First Cohort, Stand Forth!. For exemplary leadership in the face of the enemy, you are awarded a silver-encrusted oval shield."

"Additionally, each and every man in the Second Century of the First Cohort is awarded a bonus of
four months' pay."

As the decorations are handed over by the Legatus Legionis, the Emperor clasps the forearms of each man in succession, in the typical Roman manner. Once the silver shield is given to Centurio Quintus, Legatus Legionis Germanicus commands the five men in a loud, clear voice "TRANSFORMA". At this command, Centurio Quintus and the four legionaries perform an about-face, turning to face the assembled legion. The Emperor suddenly raises both hands over his head, and at this signal, the assembled ranks of Legio X Fretensis break out in loud, boisterous cheering. The cheers echo forth intermingled with the sounds of gladii and pilae clattering against shields.

Politics, Roman-style
Date: Iunius XXVIII MDCXXX AUC / June 28th, 877 AD

The Senate is met this day to consider several matters of public import. Quintus Valerius Rufus, newly-nominated by the Emperor for the post of Princeps Senatus (First Man in the Senate), rises
to speak.

"Conscript Fathers, before I assume my duties as Princeps Senatus, I ask that my appointment as such be confirmed by voice vote." The matter is taken up, and after some debate, Quintus Valerius Rufus is confirmed by a vote of 39-0, with three abstentions." After the vote is recorded, Princeps Senatus Quintus rises to speak "I thank you all for your confidence in me. And now, to business. I understand that this body was considering the conformation of the Emperor's decree concerning the
striking of coinage under the authority of the senate. I wish to add my voice in approval and I call for a vote of confirmation."

Lucius Siccius Dentatus, Secretary of the Senate walks to the podium and says "Conscript Fathers, the Princeps Senatus has called for confirmation of the Emperor's decree regarding the striking of coins under Senatorial authority. Do I hear a second?" Gnaeus Corbulo rises from the front row and says "I second the motion". Secretary Lucius now says "The motion for confirmation has been seconded, and the members of this body will now vote. He stands at the podium, with tablet and stylus in hand, recording the votes as they are cast. When the last of the 42 senators has voted, Secretary Lucius passes the tablet to Princeps Senatus Quintus, who announces the vote "Conscript Fathers, in the matter of the Imperial decree concerning the striking of coinage under Senatorial authority, the yeas are 42. The Decress is confirmed by unanimous vote. I further call for this body to select a committee to see to the design of the coins to be struck. The matter is discussed for the next 45 minutes, with some voices being hushed and still others are loud and excited. At the end of the 45 minutes, a committee of three Senators is appointed to design the coinage.

Princeps Senatus Quintus again rises to speak. "In the matter of the Emperor's decree concerning citizenship, I open the floor for continued debate." The senators begin to talk amongst themselves; some of their voices are quiet and reserved while others are argumentative. The main points of contention are an increased emphasis on the knowledge of Roman law and customs and whether or not there should be a fee appended to the application for citizenship. Some also are considering to extend the waiting period for the wife of a non-citizen legionary beyond the initial five years. The pace of the debate is at times furious, and at other times sedate and restrained. After five hours of discussion, Princeps Senatus Quintus calls the Senate to order. "Conscript Fathers, I believe that enough has been said on both sides of the citizenship issue. I call for a vote." Secretary Lucius again comes to the podium and the voting process is as before. When the votes are tallied by him and announced by the Princeps Senatus, the vote is 22-20. Princeps Senatus Quintus speaks once more " Conscript Fathers, you have debated and considered the citizenship decree for the past week. I appreciate the time and effort you have all taken in this matter and I value the opinions of all those
on both sides of the issue. This body stands adjourned."

Staff Meeting
Date: Iulius I MDCXXX AUC/ July 1st, 877 AD

Lucius Balbinus Apuleius, Praefectus Castrum comes to the Principia to attend a regularly-scheduled staff meeting. In attendance are Legatus Legionis Germanicus, the Primus Pilus, the Treasury Quaestor and other officers of Legio X Fretensis.

Legate Germanicus opens the meeting by first addressing Praefectus Lucius and saying "Praefectus Castrum, what level of supplies are on hand?"

"Legate, I am pleased to report that I carried out a survey of available stocks this very morning. At present, Legio X Fretensis has a 12-month supply of consumables in the barns, granaries and storehouses. These are composed mainly of grain, sausages, dried meats, dried fruits and vegetables. Furthermore, there is a four-month supply of fodder for the horses in the two cavalry alae attached to the Legion. I have also been in contact with the city prefect, and he tells me that the farmers are beginning to bring in their harvest and that the city also has an eight-month supply of consumables on hand. I request permission to begin brewing an new supply of beer and also to locate new stocks of grapes for winemaking."

"Your requests are approved, Praefectus. Give priority to the brewery, however. I'm quite sure that the men wouldn't appreciate running out." The assembled officers give a low chuckle on hearing this. " I also want you to set up the legion's travelling mint in a permanent facility here in camp. There will be a need for coinage in the future, and it is best to be prepared for that eventuality. Treasury Quaestor?"

"Yes, Legate?"

"How stands the Legion's treasury?"

"The treasury is in good shape, Legate. The men were paid only yesterday, and after that, remaining stocks of coin are eight million sestertii and two million denarii. This does not include the 208 talents of silver and 200 librae of gold taken from the enemy treasury after the recent battle."

"Very good, Quaestor. Is there other business, Gentlemen?"

Primus Pilus Marcus Cassius Scaeva speaks up "Legate, the men are growing somewhat restless. Understandibly, you have restricted them to camp given how we were bought here. But, as the situation has stabilized, I recommend that you authorize the grating of passes and liberty in the city."

"An excellent idea, Primus Pilus. I leave it to you to draw up the schedule. See to it that the passes and liberty are given on a rotating schedule."

"Yes, Legate."

"Very good, gentlemen. As there is no other business, this meeting is concluded." The assembled officers salute the Legate and file out of the room one by one. Some are silent and others are engaging in quiet conversation as they go.

A short time after the meeting, Optio Gaius Ocatvius Drusus knocks on the Legate's office door and speaks "Legatus Legionis, I have a message from the Emperor. " He hands over a scroll tube with ivory end caps and tied closed with a purple cloth fringed with gold braid. It is the type of tube used for important or personal messages. Option Gaius takes his leave, and when Legatus Germanicus is alone, he opens the tube and begins to read.

"I, Imperator Caesar Marcus Aurelius, Emperor of Nova Roma hereby decree that a new legion is to be raised. You will recruit such troops from among the city garrison as you think necessary to form a full first cohort. There are sufficient troops in the garrison that this will not endanger public peace and order. We are in Italia and this legion is the first to be raised after our arrival here. Therefore, this new legion will be called ‘Legio I Italica'.

Signed
IMP CAES MARC AUR*
TR P COS III PON MAX PP**

*: Imperator Caesar Marcus Aurelius
**: Tribunicia Potestas Consul III Pontifex Maximus Pater Patriae

Acta Diurna Vol II
Date: Iunius XXIV MDCXXX AUC / June 24th, 877 AD

It is reported from the Domus Publicus that the senate has confirmed the Emperor's decrees concerning the striking and issue of coinage, and also of citizenship. The coinage decree was passed by a magine of 39-0, with 3 abstentions. The vote on the citizenship decree was much closer; it passed by 22-20.

From the Domus Imperialis, the Emperor has issued the following proclamation:

"I, Imperator Caesar Marcus Aurelius, sincerely wishing to honor the gods and our new State, do hereby decree that the city of Augusta Verbonia is hereby renamed Nova Roma. The city's pomerium is hereby fixed at the distance of ten stadia from the city walls. To mark this occasion, I order the holding of three days of games, theatrical performances and feasting."

Signed:
Imp Caes Marc Aur
TR P COS III Pon Max PP

Commentary: This proclamation is not subject to Senatorial action, and it is now in force.
Michael Garrity