Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Фреска
Dear Colleagues, please help to determine the time to which this mural
[attachment=11002]558207_496133667066827_614971887_n.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This mosaic is in the Chateau de Boudry in Switzerland. It's originally from somewhere in the Roman east, probably Syria (perhaps somebody else knows a more exact origin?) and apparently dates from the 5th century. Judging by the appearance of the semi-circular dining couch and the tunic styles, I rather suspect that this is a later copy of a mosaic from the 3rd century.

The 'unswept floor' (asarotos oikos) was a popular subject for humorous mosaics in dining rooms (Pliny mentions it). In this picture, the joke is compounded by the food scraps on the floor possibly being 'real'!
Nathan Ross
Fascinating Nathan.

I was going to say, it has to be a copy if it's 5th century, because those Tunics weren't in use after the mid 3rd century AD.
Thank you very much! Tell me please, what century the Romans started using tunic with sleeves?
Going a bit off topic, thanks for posting that image up, and thanks Nathan for the additional information. This is the first time I've seen a mosaic featuring the unswept floor as a scene. I'd be interested to know how they arrived at the date of 5th AD.
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
Прорисовка фрески из Помпей,

Quote:what century the Romans started using tunic with sleeves?

The long-sleeved tunic seems to have come into common use during the first half of the third century, although it was probably worn before that in certain areas. Severan tombstones still show the old short-sleeved or sleeveless tunic, but wall paintings from Dura Europos (before AD240) show the sleeved tunic, and roughly contemporary tombstones from II Parthica at Apamea show the same. So some time between AD200 and 230 would be the best approximate date, I would guess.
Nathan Ross
This raises many questions, and the first of them as an army of Rome to cope with the implementation of its immediate objectives in the winter season? From my practice in a sleeveless tunic even a short patrol leads to frostbite and disease. Based on the same historical sources we know that the major rivers including the Danube froze in the winter and this requires a number of factors one of which is the low temperature of minus 10 to minus 20 degrees Celsius and as a consequence the legions who had served in such harsh conditions dlinnorukavnye tunics were necessary. Besides, Gaius Suetonius in the Life of Caesar there is a passage in which he writes that Caesar wore senatorial tunic with long sleeves decorated with fringe and thus he tying her.?
[attachment=11111]x_b1b45468.jpg[/attachment]

Евгений, а тот ли форум Вы выбрали? Это на XLegio Вы можете писать по-русски, здесь все-таки принято писать по-английски.

Eugene, did you choose the right forum? You can write in Russian in the XLegio, but you must write in English here. ;-)
Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)