Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mithraic statues and fighting tactics
This question concerns certain aspects of carvings showing the 'Persian'/Eastern god Mithras. These invariably show a set of features, as follows.
  • Mithras is shown looking backwards over his right shoulder.
  • His left hand is shown grasping the muzzle of the bull.
  • His right hand holds a dagger, with which is wounding the bull in the latter's right shoulder.
  • Above and to the left there is a small bird, a raven.
  • Below there is a dog and a snake, both of which are feeding on the blood of the bull.
  • Mithras is shown wearing a "Phrygian" cap.
  • On either side of the 'altar' there are figures (one per side) bearing torches, one pointing upwards, the other downwards.
  • Mithras' right foot is shown pressing down on the right rear ankle of the bull.

It is this last feature that my question concerns. If you stand on someone's ankle like this, then it is impossible for the victim of this treatment to stand up. It has been suggested that there is a possibility that this may have been a fighting technique taught to Roman soldiers, i.e. knock your enemy over, stand on his ankle and then despatch him. Given the propensity of the military to follow this cult, could these Mithraic carvings be reflecting Roman tactical doctrine? I have a (very) vague memory of seeing a paper that talked about this technique but cannot for the life of me find it. Any suggestions would be welcome.

It should perhaps be mentioned that the Mithraic cult was not exclusive to the military, although it was very common amongst soldiers.

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus).

[attachment=10999]Mithrasplastercast.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
I'm not really convinced the figure is shown standing on the bulls ankle, as far as I can see its just an artistic convention of showing the bulls leg to illustrate whats happenning.
If you want to talk details then I'd also question the relative size of the bull as this has been reduced to fit it onto the scene, and further, I doubt very much you could actually adopt that pose using a real animal- particularly one your attempting to kill. Smile

I cant actually tell if he's kneeling on its back from that pic, but I'd still be wary about reading too much into what is essentially devotional art.
All I can say is that, from right around the Roman Empire, these features are common to ALL Mithraic statues. The placing of the foot of Mithras on the ankle of the bull is quite deliberate. I have also seen people practicing martial arts using a 'hold' like this. Believe me, it's impossible to stand up if you are being restrained in this manner.

Mithras isn't kneeling on the back of the bull, he's actually straddling the animal. Some of this iconography at least is related to the seven grades of membership that a devotee progressed through as he moved forwards in the cult, e.g. the dog, the snake. However, I don't think that the ankle hold is a part of this - it certainly does not appear in any Mithraic temple that I have seen. This is partly why I am curious as to whether this was a military tactic which found expression in these carvings in a cult that was favoured by the military - although not exclusive to soldiers.

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fighting Tactics and Treaties Fabianvs 12 3,675 05-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix
  Fighting techniques and tactics of Roman and Iberian armies TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 5 2,387 10-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio