Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot steel work: forge vs. Oxy/Acetylene
As a beginning metalsmith, I have not invested in a forge as that would mean major house and workshop renovations. This video, also a great intro to working metal, has a neat idea for heating with oxy/acetylene rather than a forge. Some of you are metalsmiths, and I"d like your thoughts on it.

http://youtu.be/XzDYorK8i38
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
well, it depends on some parameters: which sort of stuff do you want to produce? made of sheet or bars in different dimensions? a torch doesn`t have the ability to heat, for example, more than a piece of 3x3x3cm to welding heat. it also lasts very long to bring thicker pieces to a forging heat if you need large areas heated ( let`s say for forging the socket of a spearhead). oxy/acetylen is also more expensive than forging coal, compared to the amount of heat energy you can use. as an alternative to renovations you could use a mobile forge outside your workshop
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
I have a small carbon forge that was good for work on small piece like knife for example.but after i decided to have a gas forge because it is more easy for work bis piece and there is a more good and fast distribution of the heat.so A men built for me a gas forge long 60 cm and large 10 cm whit 5 mouth that is good fot work on roman blades.so my opinion is that if you whant to made long blades or you built a big carbon forge or a small gas forge.
PierPaolo siercovich
gas forge is totally different to a torch. it has some advantages compared with a coal forge: you don`t need a chimney and can work inside. but you are limited in the size of the pieces you can forge
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872