Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
calcei patterns and instructions
Ave,<br>
Just wanted to let those of you who may be interested that I have put up the primary page on my website on shoe making. The methods won't please the purist probably, but it results in shoes. Go to www.florentius.com and click on shoes. I go through my pattern technique and how I put them together. The site still needs a lot of work overall, but I'd love to hear from you if the directions are clear and make sense, or if they need serious help.<br>
<br>
Vale, Florentius <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jaredfleury>jaredfleury</A> at: 11/21/04 8:16 am<br></i>
Ave,<br>
<br>
oooh cool shoes. Now I'm going to have to make me a pair of them Roman high tops.<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Cicero <p>[url=http://www.freewebs.com/davekufner" target="top]www.freewebs.com/davekufner[/url]</p><i></i>
Dave,<br>
It is fun to make your own, but for those without the time or ability, these are a top project for my next trip to Deepeeka. There is an excellent publication with these found at Mainz, and of 1st century AD provenance. We'll base them on these finds.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Nicely done !<br>
<br>
Don't flatten your thumb during the hobnailing<br>
<br>
Do you know a good source for adequate hobnails in the US ? I tried to get some here but without success. My limited stock is slowly running out (and nails are falling out).<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Avete omnes,<br>
<br>
Would it be a good idea to nail them in wet leather with a dab of glue?<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Cicero <p>[url=http://www.freewebs.com/davekufner" target="top]www.freewebs.com/davekufner[/url]</p><i></i>
Aren't the nails suppose to be clinched ( bent over above the sole)? <p></p><i></i>
Van Driel-Murray identified a flat, broad anvil as the tool for clenching the nail. The sole is placed on top of it bottom face up and the nails hammered through the outer sole and lower flaps of the upper into the insole and flattens or bends against the iron surface. This is supposed to hold the sole together without any glue. I have yet to make my first pair, but I know the technique works (I practiced with leather scraps)<br>
<br>
I hear it requires an inlay sole, though. <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
I have not made a shoe myself but I have replaced dozens of nails. All of them were hammered into pre-existing holes - with one exception ! It took me some time to get the nail through the sole, but it worked. It may be useful to prepare the sole with a stitiching awl, though.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Ave,<br>
My experience is the nails go invery easily, and just bend over when they hit the iron. Hobnails are sort of flat so they bend one way or the other and usuallye curve back onto the leather. I often hold the nail with some needle nose pliers till it's set in the leather.<br>
<br>
I'll have to find and post the supplier we usually use. ONe place we've gotten them from is Tremont nails, I think it's this: secure.tremontnail.com/cg...9&mv_pc=16<br>
Here's another: www.geocities.com/legioxf/hobnails.htm<br>
<br>
As far as glueing versus not, I've been making shoes for a few years, and have not made that many Roman. All my previous shoes where made this basic way and glued. You could certainly do it without, ( Romans both sewed and/or nailed them) but then you'd be better off lasting the shoe before assembly then, and honestly, the'yll last longer and stay together better if glued. The stitching technique is not easy...<br>
<br>
Vale, Florentius<br>
<br>
and yes, you need a leather inner sole on top of the nails. I also always use a High end Dr. sholes or some such. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jaredfleury>jaredfleury</A> at: 11/23/04 7:01 am<br></i>
Hi Dan,<br>
Any chance of convincing Deepeeka to produce a 'common' Late Roman shoe? A lower one if possible (there are enough 'high' shoes on the market already), and hobnailed?<br>
If you need info on shoes I'd be happy to provide any.<br>
As I'm sure there are others on this forum who'd be happy to cooperate as well.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert,<br>
The "Saalburg" shoe by Deepeeka originally came in a higher AND lower version. If they are only providing the higher one now, I think they could be cut down one eyelet. They have complained that the late stuff isn't selling well, and let's face it, most people are more attracted to Imeperial Gallic Helmets and Lorica segemtata. I don't know if I cold talk them into doing any more late stuff, unless more people buy it. It does seem more and more people are bdcoming interested in it though. I will devote a lot more pages to late Romans in the next book, and this too may help promote interest.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Hi Florentius,<br>
this offer by legio X looks really generous; 8 $ for 125 hobnails sounds like a good offer.<br>
I have found a source for hobnails in Germany just yesterday ( www.reenactors.de ): 1 € for 10 nails (= 12,50 € for 125 pieces). And they are modern ones so you have to rework every single hobnail <br>
<p></p><i></i>
Flavius<br>
<br>
I'm in Germany, and I just recently had a friend bring back two pounds of Tremontnail hobnails from the states. I don't know what your standards are and how much you need, but I can let you have 125 at cost (c. EUR 6-7, I'll have to weigh them) plus shipping. The Tremontnail nails are made from blackened steel, with an irregular 'wrought' finish. Legio XX have them on their site, so they're at least not awful.<br>
<br>
Apologies, I know this ought to be in Marketplace. <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Dan maybe you can talk Depeeka into financing a Late Roman movie.<br>
<br>
Carlton,<br>
<br>
just contact me under: [email protected] <br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Links/instructions on tanning leather? Nihonius Legio 12 2,372 10-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  scabbard instructions? TITVS PVLLO 6 1,762 12-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Gaius_Calvus
  buckle instructions Anonymous 1 966 02-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes